Stitch 'N Bitch at the Tea Spot
Too tired to really think about writing well but I wanted to make sure to remember to talk about last night's SNB. First of all, it was at a new venue -- The Tea Spot on MacDougal. Now I walk by there all the time (it's right across from Washington Square Park, it's on the same street as the Ethiopian Restaurant and right around the corner from VP2), but I never noticed it before. The have canisters of loose tea and a ton are "tisanes" and other types of non-caffeinated teas. I asked if they had hibiscus, and they said that probably 1/3 of the herbal teas had hibiscus in it, so that was good. I ended up having "blood orange." Why am I spending so much time on this point? I don't know.
Oh, probably because I like herbal tea a lot. And blood oranges. And hibiscus. I just had an hibiscus tea maybe about an hour ago.
So, the actual spot where we knit was downstairs, and we had the whole downstairs. The table I went to sit at said "reserved" on it, but I didn't notice that they all said that, so I got nervous at first when both spots I was thinking of sitting at said "reserved" by them. It turns out they were reserved for us by the manager! And when Jenn went to sit on the floor to work on her afghan, the manager came and gave her a cushion to sit on that looked like the seat from the booth chairs we were sitting on. He really helped us feel comfortable.
I really couldn't believe how much of a difference a simple change in scenery had on how I felt about the night. I got a ton of knitting done, and, I got to know some people better, since I could actually hear them now. People were talking about maybe going back to Dean and Deluca once it starts to get cold again, but I hope we don't. Dean and Deluca had a sterile and boring atmosphere that is not so condusive to good conversation or comfortable knitting, I think.
Oh, and I'm adding this a few days later: the person who wrote this book was there, though I didn't know until she was leaving. I actually had never heard of this book, and mystery is not exactly my favorite genre, but it was still a bit interesting to talk with her about book covers and selling the book and what not. Well, I wasn't talking to her, but I was listening.






2 Comments:
I want a tea house! The closest thing we have here is an English style tea room with a dress code, definately not a place to relax or knit. It sounds like you had a good time and got a lot done.
You know, we do have a bunch of places like this that have just or mostly tea. BUT, most are usually not this friendly or inviting. They either feel corporate OR expect you to get a lot of food and drink in order to keep your table. I got the feeling that they really wanted us there and wanted us to be happy being there.
Post a Comment
<< Home