michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Finished Laura's birthday scarf


This is it -- Laura's 35th birthday scarf!

So I went to the yarn store, and Josh (yes, his name is Josh) was there, which I was really happy about. It's nice for many reasons, a friendly face, for one, but two, this is someone who I feel proud to show my projects, who is interested in the things I make and how I make them, and is enthusiastic about helping me learn to fix my own mistakes. I exchanged the extra tartelette and cubetto for 2 new colors of manos stria and 1 red binario (for edges of Laura's scarf).

I told him about the big green poncho, and he really wants me to bring it in to show him, so I'm going to try to next week. Also, I was wearing the blue pompon shrug, and both he, and the owner, seemed to really like how soft it was, but he was particularly impressed with the lace edging I added. It was nice to see someone really appreciate how hard it was for me to get that far along in my knitting. So he, and then someone else, helped me fix the mistake, which to them was not that big, and then when I got home, I finished the scarf, cut and added the fringe (2 strands red binario, 2 strands garnet sprinkles) cause making a lace edging with binario was not working out, and I think it came out nice. I hope Laura likes it!



striking a pose on the floor

close up of the fringe

Almost immediately after finishing Laura's scarf, I started on my mom's belated mother's day scarf. I looked through the stash (which is going to be so much bigger in just a few days!) and the only thing that really seemed good for her was the pink grapefruit tartelette -- another tartelette knitting project! But for whatever reason, the pink grapefruit, along with the purple, knits up a lot nicer than the red -- none of the fraying edge. I wanted to try a lace pattern again, but this time I chose an easier one -- Staggered Eyelets -- and it is coming along really well, though I think I needed to take a break in between because i knitted a ton, and then at one point, we were right in the middle of watching the first episode of Star Trek: Enterprise (not great), and I closed my eyes and went right to sleep during the last 5 minutes! Not that that isn't unusual, though, but it usually doesn't follow intense knitting. I think it's coming out very nice, though since its primarily stockinette, the scarf is curling in to make it seem a lot thinner than intended. Perhaps I'll figure out a way to get it to my mom tomorrow when I'm in New City for David's grandmother's shiva call? That is, if I'm done with it by then.

Oh, I bought a copy of Vogue Knitting magazine. It seems interesting, though I don't really see anything that I want to knit, at least yet. I'm more interested in getting ideas from the pictures (and a lot of the pictures are ads!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home