That Fall Feeling

It's officially fall here -- both in the leaves and in the air. I wake up in the morning and walk out onto the patio and the mist hits my face and cools my skin. The food we've been eating -- chesnut rice, baked hard (winter) squash, thick soups -- all smell like fall.
The Halloween mood finally hit us this afternoon, too. We bought a grey wig, a skeleton mask, and another $3 gem from Frock for Aaron's costume. I'm more into Aaron's costume than my own, and in the end, I'm gonna end up looking mostly like myself like I do each year. But no matter what, this Halloween will score, cause the day before, I'm gonna skate!
The big day, we're thinking of staying home, handing out candy if we're able to pick up something cool, and watching old "scary" movies. Maybe making a big pot of bubbly soup?
Tomorrow I'm leaving for Seattle to get in some good quality time with my cousins -- David who lives there and Lisa, Chris, and their daughter Lilia who came to visit from Boston! I'm thinking I'll get home in time for the fall vegany meetup on Saturday night. THEN, Sunday, I'm carving pumpkins and drinking cider with my neighbors.
Crunching leaves, smell of cinammon and chesnuts, and pumpkins, I smell it everywhere.
But right when we were about to leave Last Thursday and turn onto our street, the foulest stench was in the air. The funk of forty thousand years. I had to go see what everyone was milling about outside the coop parking lot. When I heard the music, I broke into a run!

Can I possibly describe how happy this made me? When it was over, my eyes got teary. Seriously, it was that good.






15 Comments:
i'm teary that i missed it! did they just spontaneously start dancing outside the coop? why didn't they call me to join in? (sniff.) why, michelle, why?
you can tell how good it was from the pictures, especially looking at your full set on flickr -- they have the moves DOWN.
oh, have fun in seattle! how are you getting there?
fyi, if you give out candy on halloween, you know what kids like but is cheap and vegan? dumdums lollipops.
you know, jen, i totally thought the same thing. how did this happen? how did i miss this? if i was in a zombie costume, i would have jumped right in! they completely had the moves down. incredible!
while it seemed spontaneous to onlookers, i ended up talking to a few of them afterward, and found out that michael jackson and a few of the people in the front are actually from Eugene, and they found the rest of the zombies through craig's list. And here I was, looking at the jobs, when I should have had my eye out for this!!!
taking a bus sooper early!
and thanks for the candy tip!
Do you mean they had a gross zombie smell to go along with the dancing and music? There was a zombie walk here in Toronto last weekend.
http://www.torontozombiewalk.com/
how fun! your neighborhood sounds kickin'.
Ah, fall is so great. Too bad it's over here - we got our first snow last weekend! I love eating the foods of the season too - especially winter squash, baked with a little maple syrup, yum. And the wild rice you gave me is delicious! Have a great trip, can't wait to hear about it. And you must share your Halloween festivities!
that looks like total fun! i didn't know that we had a zombie walk here in Toronto, but wow, what a great idea!
Cause this is Thriller!!!
Wow! That takes me back. That video is the first VHS my mom every bought me and I remember seeing it for the first time on Friday Night Videos...good times.
Carla: "the foulest stench is in the air/the funk of forty thousand years/and grizzly ghouls from every tomb/are closing in to seal your doom..." is from the Vincent Price part of Thriller!
It really took me back, too! I love these moments leading up to Halloween! The fall has been so wonderful, though I still can't imagine a winter with hardly any snow! We will see...
That si the coolest thing I have heard all year. Portland rocks!
ok, so there wasn't actually a stench for dramatic effect? you were just being poetic
so, let's see some pics of you and aa in costume?
tonight...on my way out to work WORK!
That is so funny! Too bad you didn't happen to already be in a zombie costume when you saw them.
omg, ok if nothing else cool ever happens in portland, it will all be worth it just because you got to see THAT.
so f-ing jealous!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home