September

has come and gone, but I'm catching up. All of your comments were so sweet and warming, it was hard to post the follow-up to August. September's been a harder month, and while that older post was up, that still was my life for those of you who know most of me through my blog.
August was like this big dream come true. Come up with an idea and decide to live it. Move yourself and your partner all the way across the country and see it grow. It's quite a crazy and empowering thing to feel like you can really just decide to make it happen.
No matter what you think about how much we make our own days, there is a reality that I had to face, and it didn't really hit me until September. I left my family, my friends, my familiar spaces, and my job, all in such a short time.

(Taken on the first rainy day)
All of these things have to be built up again, and September is the month where I started the process of really working out how to make my new city my new home. I've found that how I feel is still largely based on my state of mind, and so when I feel myself get bummed by what I don't have going yet, I just have to step back and think of what I do have. And I have a lot. And the rest will come. Some days are harder than others. Today is a good day. There are many.
And then after writing that, and looking at my pictures from September, I know I still had a ton of fun. I'm still crazy about this place. And it's hardly rained at all! (yet) Perspective. Ok, picture time.

This was taken the first day of September. Looking out at our plants. We are so proud.

The farmer's market is still bountiful with summer lovelies like peppers, beans, and all kinds of greens. Writing this in October, I can still say this.

It's actually one of the few places here where it feels like NYC a bit -- crowded, but worth it.

Here's AA in the south park blocks after eating his falafel. I love his "I just had a falafel!" face.
and here's some progress on our own vegetables!
watching the peppers start to turn red is so exciting!

and then!

(these are long ago in my tummy)
oh, and these!

the top right and bottom ones made it into my tummy, but the top left one never turned red and then when it did, it was mushy

mmm
and our biggest excitement on the patio:

though we left them on too long, and the leaves got bitter-ish.

still! we grew that!
produce a growing and oven a working inspiring cookdates a plenty

with Jess

with Sare
Portland is challenging me to do things I haven't done in a long time.

Like rollerskating! (with Ross)

and trivia! (Matt and Joanna)
Other creative things I started doing here is drawing. Lots of my neighbors are artists, and sometimes I draw with them.

Michelle M. , drawing
It doesn't matter to me that I don't really draw. It's fun time to spend with them, plus it's cool to try something new.
Zoe posing


what i was in the middle of drawing ha ha!
Josh


this one I had to draw in two minutes (ish)
and I've been back into sewing

the selection at Fabric Depot is awe-inspiring

here I am, making the kitchen curtains

see!

and sewing aprons for last thursday

here's one of them
And I want to say that I'm still knitting, but more accurately, I'm still going to knit night. Each night, something is up: I bring the wrong needles, my jumper for my sister's daughter-to-be is twisted but I take it off the needles and its too big anyway. Or this.

yarn swift-tangle disaster. Leigh helping me tell the yarn who is boss (um, me?)

some progress on the Here and There Cables scarf from Scarf Style (in lovely North Country Cotton gifted by lovely Megan) before I ripped it out. I might be ripping as much as knitting lately. But Close Knit -- I completely love that place!

Melinda and Cash

and Bob

We've been seeing more movies this month. Here's the Kennedy School, a former elementary school house turned movie theater/bar/hotel!

chairs and tables for your beer and nutritional yeast for your popcorn!

Little Miss Sunshine with Siue

and Thank You For Not Smoking with Sarah

Equally as entertaining as the movies, Food Fight had a cupcake eating contest! The winner ate 11 cupcakes in five minutes. The winner is at the bottom center of the frame, and I swear I saw his left hand shaking as he finished up his cupcakes!

Next up, stonewall jerquee eating contest. Look at this guy in a tracksuit, warming up!

the winner is the one out of the frame

there also was a grossout eating contest, but even my camera was so disgusted that the battery died right before it began. This is the only shot I got. I was too ooged out to try the cupcakes or anything else that day.

But I did try bubble tea for the first time. Rooibos+soymilk+strawberry+tapioca pearls=fat straw nirvana. Yeah, I should rotate this picture.
Portland's got lots of free fun, too. Free fun, as many of you know, is my favorite kind.

We went to the Portland Art Museum on a free day to see the biennial but I only have pictures of us coming and leaving the museum

silly days on the patio while it was still super warm
Destined to become our slice of city escape when we decide we need it, we finally got out to Forest Park, the largest forested park within city limits in the country

and I finally got on my bike

I've got a LONG way to go before these guys

(clown house represents at the parade)

(and juggling for Lew)
and thankfully for you, I'm far away from this

yup, the Clowns got naked on Last Thursday.
Um, what else can follow that?

hula hoops?

my first Portland pub crawl?

fresh donuts from voodoo?

blurry green tea soft serve?
Ok, so I'll just leave you with some pictures of my fair city



aa says "we're in the picture" and i say "yeah, i know"
Missing you all. Say hi.






14 Comments:
I'm delighted to see you biking!
My front wheel has been busted for far too long.
Don't worry about reason season - I am *sure* you can handle it, having seen thunderstorms in your life, this is nothing!
<3 jess
Hi!
Your photos are great! You make living in Portland look like so much fun.
I've got a bunch of questions for you...
1) what was on the menu for the 'grossout eating contest'?
2)Is the green tea soft serve dairy-free?
3)Is being a vegan/vegetarian popular in Portland? There seem to be plenty of restaurants and food venues that offer vegan food alternatives like doughnuts, pizzas, etc.
4)Are the locals in Portland as bohemian as they appear in your pictures?
I'm just amazed that there aren't any briefcase and business suit guys driving expensive cars and talking on their cellphone.
You do live in the city, right?
I'm so glad for this post so i can see more of your life in Portland. I'm so happy to see you with friends - i guess you already knew people when you went there? Check out your roller skates - i'm having a roller skate party for my birthday!
it looks like you're having an AWESOME time in portland! look at all the friends you've made and the stuff that you do :) definitely look back on this post when you're feeling low. it's hard to leave a way of life and start a new one, but after you get more comfortable, it'll be like that "other" life you left behind is but a memory.
post more often! we miss you!
What a fantastic post! I can't believe you've been up to so much!!
(I agree with Gleek: you should post more often. Just one or 2 pictures at a time, so we feel like we're right there with you? Please?).
Hi! I'm so glad you posted--your blog makes Portland look like heaven (esp. for vegetarian/vegans)! Don't worry about feeling down, moving is SO hard--it takes forever to feel normal again, but you have to just keep trying to get out there and meet people, and then one day you realize that you do feel normal, and that you're not even trying anymore! But it just takes time. And it looks like you're in a really great place, too. But we miss you here!
you would never know from all of the great photos that you are struggling at all in portland.! but, at times, we all feel down. i definitely miss you and miss your frequent posts, but blogging shouldn't be an obligation. miss you.
Starting over is so hard! It sounds like you're keeping a really good perspective on it all though. Good for you. xoxo.
portland looks fantastic! so much fun stuff going on around you. it's great to see that you've made so many excellent friends. i'm sure that will help on those days you feel a bit blue.
Beautiful pictures! We picked up and moved, too, though not quite as far. But it still feels a bit odd, though in a very wonderful way. You've done so much since you've been here - now I have a good list of things to see!
Woah! You did way more in October than I've done since I moved here in June!
I'm still looking forward to knitting with you sometime! (Or maybe learning how to make aprons....)
aw, so sweet everyone! really, why didn't i post sooner? already, i feel a ton better, just knowing you're all still there for me. of course i _knew_ this, but its good to hear it when i forget!
rubybanshee: me too! i would love to hang out with you and all the other sweet knitters who came by my blog to wish me a warm portland welcome. it really meant a lot to me! so far, i've only met kat, and just once, but she was great and so sweet! where do you usually knit? (though of course we could meet any old place!)
debb: let's see if i can answer those...
1) hmm, not sure about all of it, but i know that some key ingredients were black salt, natto, veggie gizzards, gosh i forget what else. i didn't get too close but i heard it smelled really gross. it was rumored later that the person who won has a weak sense of smell!
2) the green tea soft serve was vegan! i got it at blossoming lotus, and the flavors change daily.
3) yeah, it's definitely popular to be vegetarian and vegan here. and even those who aren't seem to be very veg-friendly.
4) i think it's hard to classify, but people definitely seem more "free to be" here. and i would add that the vibe changes somewhat as you go to different neighborhoods. mine is definitely relaxed and arty.
there _are_ people in business suits, but they're downtown during the day. none of these pictures were taken downtown, so that's part of it, but also, its way more of a casual place.
and yup, i live in the city!
i worry, though, about representing my city or my life as too "la la la." cause really, life anywhere has its ups and downs and problems, etc. i mean, i haven't taken pictures of the long lines of people waiting outside the city mission, for example, but it doesn't mean that isn't there. it's not a utopia by any means, but it really is a place that gives me a lot of hope.
I feel for ya! I've moved to a new city a few times as an adult, and settling in takes perseverance and energy and a thick skin. Luckily you have a partner with you, and he's good company.
Siue's great to see movies with!
I think I'd spend a lot of time and money at Food Fight if I lived in Portland. I read some fantasitc zines written by one of the owners last year.
Hope things get easier real soon. It looks like you're having a nice time.
it looks like you are doing so many great, fun things in portland!
i don't do well with change so i know how you feel, but i always try to appreciate that feeling of strangeness and discomfort -- as others have mentioned, soon enough you'll be settled in and feel like you've lived there forever. that feels great, but it is easy to overlook how exciting and inspiring it is to be in a new place where everything ISN'T just what you are used to. a little discomfort isn't always a bad thing.
on a selfish note, i just love reading about portland and seeing your pictures!
Post a Comment
<< Home