michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Somewhere, beyond the sea...somewhere, waiting for me...

I've never been big on all the massive preparations and hubub and general crazed subculture that goes into the modern wedding*. That said, I always love the parties and cannot get enough of dancing, especially the rare opportunity to slow and partner dance that a wedding provides.

Here we are, mid-dance.

"Somewhere, beyond the sea
Somewhere, waiting for meeeeeeeeee....
My lover stands on golden sands
And watches the ships that go sailing."
(I've had this song in my head for almost two weeks now. )



I made two of these pillowcases for Anthony and Kristen's wedding, held the first of this month (sorry about the yucky lighting). Kristen's pretty crafty herself and both of them are into DIY and supporting local businesses (I bought the fabric at Purl Patchwork. Of course!), so it worked out very nice. And they liked them!

And it was a nice opportunity to dress up (i.e. put on lipstick, fancy shoes, and paint four of my toes red). Observe:

Aaron and all the other brothers wore orange ties, color squares, and flowers. See:

They had their wedding at the Buffalo Central Terminal, the old train station built in early 1929.

After the depression, ridership went down, they were using less trains, they closed down the station, it was sold for really cheap at auction, its owner stripped it of its fancy insides, it went into disrepair, people rediscovered it, it went on the historic register, and now, this is the first wedding ever held there.

So they got interviewed by the news.

another dancing shot. I apparently do this move a lot, cause there's one very similar from my sister's wedding. In the middle are Andrew and Austin, Aaron's middle and youngest brother, respectively.

Here's pictures after the wedding, at Founding Fathers, their local bar.

Anthony and Kristen

it's late

what we've been calling one of the "band shots" (Andrew, Kristen, Aaron's second youngest brother, Alex, and Anthony, the brother right underneath Aaron. That's it for the brother's by the way).

with their donkey kong the next day

I'm so behind cause I've been up to a lot. And have news. Big news. And I still haven't gotten to tell you about Toronto where I got to hang out with Krissy and Paul, Carla, Mishka/Michelle L. and David "the boy", Vania and Joel "J", and Tania "Tannie Annie"! But that's what I'm gonna do next...

*See Vania and Joel's blog with some great ideas on how to create your own kind of "celebration." Happy happy to Vania and Joel! Wish I could be there!

*Another p.s.: One of the things that really worked for this wedding was the music. People made mixes and then Anthony put them onto his computer hooked up to a sound system, etc. I ended up becoming more involved with this than expected when I became in charge of the wedding ceremony music. It mostly went well except for when the beginning song ended before people were done walking down and the "Kristen walking down the aisle" song squeezed a note or two in before I could restart the first song. I woke up the next morning and had all kinds of ideas on how to do that better. Of course. And for the party, their friend Jay worked on the mix the whole evening, mixing songs in a really interesting way (except for when there were too many fast songs and we got tired out and Jay and I had a come together and he put on some slower songs, like "Fade into You," which I had a strong desire to hear and dance to. Aaron thinks Jay and I should write a book about Itunes and your next big party).

10 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Oh, I love weddings that are really original and special like that! You look smashing, as does Aaron - what a pair! I'm usually not much of a dancer, but there's something about weddings and 80's music (esp. Madonna and Michael Jackson) that really gets me going. And I like the old classy stuff too . . .

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:26:00 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

looks like a great time! you and AA are super styling and the wedding seems like a lot of fun.

ok, the big news is killing me! i must know!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I love weddings too...I'm all about the dancing! I'm glad you had fun!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what fun! thanks for sharing.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Welcome back! I've really missed your entries over the last few weeks. That wedding looks incredible and you and Aaron are a very stylish couple.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh, i love the groomsmen attire. so unique, not stuffy at all. and your dress is darling! i also like how personalized it all seemed. usually, it's not good when the media show up at your wedding, but that's really sweet in this case!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

hey! I didn't hear about all your Toronto adventures yet either, and I was a small part of them. Nice pics. Love the pillow you made!

Friday, July 14, 2006 8:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back! It looks like you had a wonderful time--weddings with lots of dancing are always the best ones.

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

love the pillow! glad to see a post, i missed reading new posts! i should remember to check flickr to tide me over.

yay dancing! looks like a fun time was had by all both in buffalo and in toronto.

Friday, July 14, 2006 1:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a wonderful celebration!

you *should* write that book about iTunes and parties. i'd read it. there's no replacing a good live DJ, but there's no reason you need to have thousands of dollars of equipment to *be* that good live DJ either ;)

Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home