Fly High Michelle

So take these lacy wings
and learn to fly again
learn to live so free
and when we hear the voices sing
the book of love will open up and let us in
yeah yeah
That song came out the same year that we were moving to a new house, and we'd always go into different stores to look for things for the new place. It was 1985, and while my sister was old enough to do what she liked, I was young enough that I had to go with them: lighting stores, furniture stores, etc. On one of these trips, there was a wall of name mugs that didn't really go with the rest of what the store was selling, and my parents bought me a mug that said "Fly High Michelle." About a year or more ago, it broke and we threw it out, but I remember it had a rainbow and balloons on it.
I'm not exactly an Enuff Z'Nuff fan (not sure why I said "not exactly" when I meant "definitely not") though I make a point of knowing the songs that use my name. And I know that the "flying" in "Fly High Michelle" is different than the kind where you take your lacy wing socks and learn to fly again and the book of love opens up and lets us both in..., but I'm ignoring that. What I am thinking about, though, is that this song, according to the internet and not according to my memory, "hit the charts" in 1990. Five years after I got the mug. So the question is: was the song inspired by the mug (!) OR is there some other "Fly High Michelle" reference I should know about...
A quick search on these fascinating internets finds not just the lyrics (meh) but the video, too (It was painful to watch at first, but then I settled into it). Replicate the experience for yourself by clicking here. You'll see the rainbow, the balloons...everything from the mug!
Or would you rather just see more sock?



p.s. I intended on giving you a few updates: our anniversary (and some old pictures), our trip to the botanical gardens yesterday, hanging out with Stacey, some gratuitous cupcake shots, etc. But something was very up about blogger while I tried to work on this one, so this is all (for now).






8 Comments:
Those are some mighty fancy socks you got there!
you are a speed demon when it comes to socks! These are spectacular. Happy Anniversary again!
ugh, i hated 'broken wings' so much! and it was always on. always. but the socks are totally adorable.
i don't remember the song 'fly high michelle,' but i like the sounds of that mug. europe sang a song called 'carrie.' now that's sad.
Yes, I would rather see more socks, but I clicked on the link and started watching the video. Unlike you, I was unable to sit through the whole thing.
A friend (Maria as in How Do You Solve A Problem Like) & I think there should be special counseling available for ppl whose names are in songs that have a damaging effect on their psyches. As much as I like Fountains of Wayne, there is something a little uncomfortable about their song Stacey's Mom - and I say this after hearing an interview & knowing what it's about.
Those are some super socks! Did you use Fixation? Have you seen the Spring 06 (I think?) IK? I think there are two sock patterns in there that might keep you going on your sock kick!
And Happy Anniversary again! I can't wait to get the update. You looked absolutely lovely in your Flickr pic!
Those look great, well done! I'm so glad you didn't run out of yarn, I've been worrying that you would right before the end or something!
Cute socks! Good job!
that's really crazy about your mug. i love stuff like that.
for as popular as the name "jennifer" is there are surprising few song references to it, perhaps it's hard to rhyme? the only one i'm aware of is the tommy tutone song.
Post a Comment
<< Home