michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Saturday in the Park


See those trees to your left. It's Thomas Paine Park. Just your regular city park. Nothing fancy. Nothing outer borough. Just a small space of concrete and trees and parkbenches. With a courthouse view. You know the one. After eating all that dim sum, I wasn't interested in any of my other plans for the day, and all I wanted to do was sit down and stay put. Luckily, I have a hobby that thrives on sitting and staying put.

So I knit and knit some more and changed park benches and knit the heel flap then went across the street to Federal Plaza with the cool green benches and turned the heel and picked up stitches and what do we have here...

It's Anna's Lace Wings Fixation Socks. I've been really into anklets lately, so I figure I'd knit some. I'm using purple cascade fixation, a color I was only so-so about cause I like my purples with a little blue, but as I knit, the blue-ish of the purple started to come through. Oh, the mystery.

It got really windy and out of control cold.

Here's AA rocking the windblown look so sweetly. We decide to move on. Luckily we left just in time before it started pouring serious rain, but when we got up to Williamsburg it was coming down hard. Browsing through books, meeting up with AA's mom at Foodswings, and cinnamon orange teas and coffee at Verb. So full.

11 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Wow, those are fancy socks. You're such a fancy knitter, I'm impressed and a bit in awe.

Sunday, May 14, 2006 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

You certainly are on a sock kick! Go Michelle! I really like that pattern, and the anklets will be great for the summer.

What a fun afternoon. Browsing through books and going out for tea are some of my favorite rainy day activities!

Monday, May 15, 2006 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

yay dim sum! yay socks! yay foodswings! sounds like you had a great weekend.

Monday, May 15, 2006 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

i'm so envious of all of your lovely handmade socks! i looked at the pattern you linked to and they look so pretty when they're finished. i also like that picture of your boy...you did such a good job with his haircut (sorry if i mentioned that already a few days ago). and his mom looks so much like someone i know. this might sound wierd, but is aa finnish? (the person i know is, so i'm curious if that's why they looks so similar.)

Monday, May 15, 2006 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Love those socks! Hooray for socks! Where did you find that pattern? It looks real purdy.

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:34:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Well Annie, click on the link....blame it on the jetlag. :-)

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:36:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

hey a-m, so you're back? can't wait to see you sunday! do you like this purple (cause the other two balls are for you if you want them...)

and krissy, aa is english, irish, and scottish on his mom's side and polish on his dad's side! and funny you complimented his hair cause it's a point of contention (well, not really) around here CAUSE I cut the back but then he quickly cut the front and I wish I had done it cause there were some funky parts, but ya know, he's a cutie no matter what so...

and thanks everyone else! go go fixation socks!

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:41:00 PM  
Blogger jae said...

oh you and all the other nyc-bloggers i visit regularly!!! you never fail to rouse my need to visit that wonderful city.
maybe in the fall? life always seems to get in the way...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:24:00 AM  
Blogger mishka said...

I just realised I haven't commented on your last few posts, though I always make sure to read 'em. I need to update mine with more personal stuff, but these past couple of weeks have been so busy.

I love seeing your 'around the city' shots and hearing about your trips. And seeing your sock progress :) I am so afraid to try knitting socks, though I did teach myself to knit on dpns. I think it's the heel that scares me mostly.

Have you seen the latest VegNews? It has a feature on Brooklyn, and mentions the Botanical Gardens! Of course, I thought of you immediately. There are also other mentions about places/things you've talked about on your blog, which makes me feel as though I have already experienced them.

whoo - long comment!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

i think you need to change your name to michelleknitsocks! Thanks for even more pics of that fabulous city of yours!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:54:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh, if i were into changing my name, i would have changed it to michelleknitslegwarmersandonlylegwarmers or something like that! i'm just like that, and this, too, shall pass. i can't imagine i'll be knitting just socks forever, but for now, they're very cool.

and mishka, checked out vegnews while on line at the store -- surprised they mentioned the vegan heart attack and not the buffalo wings. they've even got a t-shirt that aa and i both really want that says "buffalize me!"

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home