michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

No matter where I go, I know where [my parents] came from (from the Bronx!)


I came out of the pelham parkway station and was immediately hit with a flood of emotion and memories. Not having been back to the neighborhood let alone any place in the Bronx in a few months, it was nice to get back to these parts. Not the classrooms, the parks. Not the people, the trees. Though the classrooms and their people have their moments, too. Many moments actually. As I used to hear all the time: "it's all good." Well, sometimes.


"These [trees] that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away..."


met up with Aaron

walked under the elevated

While we were walking along Allerton Ave. (where I was going to pick up the Bx 26 to the NY Botanical Garden), we decided to walk down along Bronx Park East to see if there was a closer entrance. And on Waring, there was!

Cherry Valley

walking down to the Bronx River

spent a ton of time underneath this tree

My sister recently gave me a book I'd been eyeing for a long time, New York City Trees and I had it along with me. Though I didn't follow too closely to its suggested "tree walk," I caught a few of the trees it mentioned along the way.

"splendid yoshino cherry tree, planted in 1940"

tanyamo pines

crabapple collection

alpine flowers and plants at the Rock Garden

weeping katsura tree

tulip tree allee

magnolia on Magnolia way

and a lot more pictures that you can check out on my photo page. I was sad cause I couldn't find the chinese scholartree, but I'm going to take a special look for it next time. It was about to rain and it was time to get going.

crossing the Bronx River Parkway. Aaron has an old poem that has a line that goes something like "highway through the park, highway to your heart"

walked to Jasmin's house. She invited us over cause she was making a nice vegan meal for us vegans! (us includes Carrie, not Jasmin. Jasmin isn't vegan but is very vegan-friendly!)

I brought turkish lentils and curry leaves to make the red lentil soup (this is now my third time making it) Why I took a picture when the beans were frothing as opposed to when it was nice and beautiful I don't know.

I was in love with Jasmin's apron and wore it most of the evening

Jasmin and Carrie

It was a very dreamy Wednesday...

*I don't know where this fits in so I'm going to put it at the bottom. When I opened the wrapping paper and saw this book, I looked at my sister like she read my mind. How DID she know? Turns out, it's on my wish list! Who knew people looked at that?

9 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

sounds like a lovely day!

Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I feel like I'm vicariously experiencing spring through your lovely photos! What a great day!

Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:15:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

I'm so happy to read another post from you! It sounds like a perfectly dreamy day. "Dreamy" is a silly word, but it's exactly what I was thinking while reading your post and seeing your photos.

I would love to have cooking-together friends. If you and I lived in the same city, I would insist on having dinner nights. If only to try your lentil soup... mm...

Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:44:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

another funny coincidence: just this morning. the boy and I were discussing taking a trip to Edward Gardens, which is "A former Estate garden featuring perennials and roses on the uplands and wildflowers, rhododendrons and an extensive rockery in the valley."

And now I see this post of your's and I can't help think that maybe you sent this thought to me somehow :D

Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:49:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

ahahaaaa... I just re-read this and realised you USED the word "dreamy"! hahahaaaaa.....

Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh, I thought that was what YOU were saying! that's so sweet that you came back to read! sometimes i do that, too (wait, i missed something...)

Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

i forgot to say how much i love cooking friends!!!! and i hope you go to that garden and have a lot of fun! and i'm sending you more thoughts right now so let me know when you get them!

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

i also love cooking with and for friends - and i always make vegan dishes even though i'm the only vegan i know here in Toronto - well, not including my new blogger friends who i haven't met in person...hint hint!

Wish lists are great - we have one for our big celebration and people already bought stuff! Egads, July is so close!

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh, sounds like a fabulous day, a tree tour sounds like a great idea. your blog always makes me hungry, by the way.

Friday, May 05, 2006 11:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home