April Firsts

1. April is the first day of my birth month, and the first day of April and the beginning of Spring always gets me excited, no matter how old I'm turning. I like new beginnings. When I was younger, I used to make up "April 31," just to keep that feeling going.
2. April Fool's Day is a funny holiday. I wish I could repeat what Aaron said this morning.
3. April first is my (one year) knit-versary, too!
4. I remember this day 'cause we celebrated April Fool's at my school by dressing like each other. The chemistry teacher dressed like me (well, borrowed some clothes I don't wear too often), but the accessories like my scarf, watch, orange bracelet, and glasses, along with sitting cross-legged on the desk (something I'd do, but usually not when I'm wearing a skirt!), clinched the deal.

I dressed like him, in an argyle sweater and tie, with my arms folded across my chest. I also taught a chemistry lesson! I learned to knit from a woman at work (though I quickly remembered what my sister had tried to teach me a year or two before), and I was still wearing his sweater and tie. How could I forget that day?
4. This April first, I posted for the first time to Wardrobe_Remix, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. My first entry is here. This is just another step, started a year ago by starting a blog, to "putting myself out there," something I wasn't always willing to do.
5. This was also the first day that I wore a knitted pair of socks. Wanna see?

Pattern: Anna's Ribbed Fixation Socks
And here I am, checking them out!







17 Comments:
Happy knit-versary!!! :D
I love your socks, and your green outfit! So cute!!
It sounds like you have great fellow teachers to work with. That must have been a riot to see you guys as each other. :D
Well done with the socks, they look fab! I will have to watch wardrobe remix more now you're there! I go every now and again and look for inspiration!
They look so cute on. I love them with that outift and hope they feel soft and comfy and ease any pain you may have suffered at the hands of an errant bicycle.
Happy knitting anniversary Michelle! How fitting to have finished your first pair of socks. They came out perfect -I just love the colors, as I've told you before.
I'm so glad you posted to Wardrobe Remix. You have such a fabulous sense of style and I've long thought you would be great for that flickr pool. Keep it up!! What is Liberty House, by the way?
Thanks! One sock is a little longer than the other, but I'm still very happy with them. It's rare (for me) to have my socks inspire my outfit in this way!
Megan, most (not all of course) of my clothes are from thrift shops, vintage stores, ebay, or (rare cause we had lots of garage sales in the 80's) hand-me-down. The lovely exception to this is Liberty House, a store on bway by 91st or 92nd st (there's also one on bway by 110ish) that sells lovely new clothes, socks, tights, jewelry and other accessories.
happy knit-a-versary! when is your birthday? i'm the same way about may, which is my birth month. don't you just love spring?
you and your fellow teacher remind me of my college paper, where we had "dress as your favorite editor day." i dressed like the sports editor, and the editor in chief dressed like me which, sadly, meant he wore brown corduroy overalls. glad i got rid of those ...
It's April 20th. I'm excited about this one.
Funny how people see you. I heard later about how the kids insisted that he get up on the desk, that they all saw me as being on top of the desk all the time. It's real comfortable there, I guess.
great green socks! and April is a great month, how fabulous your big b-day is in it! I bought the Sunday Times Today(first time ever) and thought of you when i saw pics of people in NYC enjoying the weather!
I didn't mean to ignore you for so long! You left me a comment asking about what yarn I use...the blue socks I'm knitting are Fortissima Cotton Colori (cotton/nylon). The rest of my yarn is cotton or a cotton/synthetic blend, oh and some bamboo. I made a list of my stash last weekend, I'll post it later this week, feel free to use any info off of it that will help out your list!
Interesting post! :)
There's a new Midweek Munchies Code up on my blog now - check it out!
i'm taking a break from hours at the computer making a chart of nutrients for school. my brain is melting and i can't focus on a word your saying (not because of your writing, but because of my computer exhaustion), but your photos are all very cute.
just thought i'd let you know i stopped by.
Lovely socks. How did you like knitting with the Fixation?
i am obsessed with wardrobe_remix! i think it's one of the best things about flickr. your outfits are amazing! i didn't comment because i wasn't logged in when i looked, but i just wanted to let you know i think your style is fantastic and so much fun!
Thanks again everyone! Oh, and I really liked knitting with fixation. I'm doing it again! And thanks for all the wardrobe_remix comments -- it feels really good to know that you knit types are looking and enjoying. It's a really interesting experience so far. I'm going to try to do it every day for at least this month and try to track what I'm thinking and feeling and learning about it.
Holy crap! Is that Kareem Mustafa I see in that picture? I used to work with him at PS 38! Small friggin world if it is!
No, his name is Dave! It's nice to see YOU here, though!
I love your socks and your awesome green outfit! Way cool!
Post a Comment
<< Home