michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Monday, March 20, 2006

For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)


Socks!
(wanna) rock!

But as I'm nearing completion of my first ever pair of socks, it's pressing on me how I can't knit with the famed "Socks That Rock" that I see all over these knitternets. Vegans, as most of you folks know, don't knit with wool or silk or alpaca or what have you. And we want to knit cool things that rock. Maybe even cool socks that rock. So I've talked to a few people about this already, and what follows is what I hope to be a growing list of vegan sock yarns (and yarns that are not necessarily "sock" yarns but that have been used to make vegan socks) as a reference for myself, for other vegans, and anyone else wishing to knit with cotton or microfiber or other non-animal yarns, too.

What I'd really like is if you knew of any vegan sock yarns that aren't on this list, or if you can attest to the cool/uncool factor of these yarns, please leave a comment here, and I'll add your info, pictures, and comments to the list. Join in!

[I say this probably unnecessarily, but feel I should just in case, that this posting is for vegan sock yarn information only. I'm sure there's plenty of forums on the internet for wool "good" vs. wool "bad" debates, but this isn't it. Thanks for your understanding!]
  • Cascade Fixation (98.3% cotton/1.7% elastic; 50g - 100 yds; gauge: 5.5sts = 1" #5-9; hand wash and lay flat)

I'm using Cascade Fixation and Anna's Ribbed Fixation Sock Pattern for the socks above. I'm using US size 3 needles which make a nice, dense fabric. I'm a loose enough knitter to go down to a 2 1/2 or 2 for the next pair.

  • Fortissima Cotton Sock Yarn (75% cotton/25% nylon; 50g - 210 mtres; gauge: 26 sts = 4" #2.5-3 mm; washing?)
I read about this yarn when I was flipping through Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road while waiting for a friend to pick out a pattern at Purl.
  • Katia Mississippi 3 (60% cotton, 40% acrylic; 50 g - 230 yds; gauge: 28 sts = 4" US 2-3 needle; machine wash and dry)
I learned about this yarn from Desiree.
  • Moda Dea Sassy Stripes (100 % acrylic; 50 g - 147 yd/135 m; gauge: 22sts/30 rows = 4" US 5/3.75mm needles; washing?
Another helpful addition from Desiree.
  • Plymouth DreamBaby (50% acrylic microfiber, 50% nylon); 183 yds; gauge: 5.5 sts=1" #6 needles; machine wash and dry)
I learned about this yarn from Robyn.
  • Sock it to me collection Esprit (98.3% Cotton 1.7% Elastic; 50 g - 91 m/ 100yds (relaxed) - 170 m/186 yds (stretched); gauge: 25 sts =4 inches US 7/4.5 mm needles; hand wash/dry flat)
I learned about this yarn while browsing through Elann
  • Bernat Sox (60% acrylic, 40% nylon; 50g - 203 yds; gauge: 28sts=4" #3 needles; machine wash and dry)
I learned about this yarn from Anna, who said at the time "then you have Bernat Sox which is so acrylic it makes your teeth itch, but I knit with it anyway because my options are so limited."

Hopefully people will leave comments and help us find more options!

Update: But then, this just in and also from Anna, she writes me today to ask if I have heard about "Sock Candy," a cotton/lycra blend made by the Socks That Rock people (Blue Moon Fiber Arts). No, I hadn't! Neither of us could find a place to buy this stuff (other than in PORTLAND!), could you tell us? But if you do a google search, you'll find some nice examples. When I get better at this sock thing, I'll be ready for this stuff.

Oh, and I just remembered hearing about using my favorite legwarmer yarn, Rowan Calmer, used for socks here. She didn't end up making socks with it, but she could have.

p.s. I'm not a "sock person" yet, just curious about my options and into trying new things.

20 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Wade said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, March 20, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Why'd ya remove it? I just read it on email! Could you send a list with more of your favorites?? Please please??

Monday, March 20, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Blue Moon Fiber Arts also carries a cotton sock yarn that has the same colors.

Monday, March 20, 2006 6:24:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Christine -- Do you know where to get it? I'd love to try some.

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Yay! Great progress on your sock! Not so bad, huh?

It's not for socks, but I'm just looooving the Blue Sky organic cotton! And although I don't have any yarn recommendations, I'm interested in hearing about good cotton yarns for warm weather socks. Thanks for compiling this list!

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:50:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

Duh! I totally forgot about Bernat Sox yarn. *chuckle* I bought some to make socks with but I haven't yet; I ended up using it for other projects.

The socks look really good! I'm not familiar with the pattern though... are you going to have a seam on the bottom of your foot??

Monday, March 20, 2006 10:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about hemp yarn? My secret pal sent me two skeins that I'm going to use with size 3 DPNs to make some sturdy socks for the husband. It was from Knitpicks.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your heel looks fine sweetie, just how it should!

Blue Moon Fiber Arts only list stores that don't sell online on their site, it's very frustrating! I can't believe there is nowhere in NY that sells Sock Candy.

I used the Fortissima Cotton and it was lovely to knit and is wearing well so I'll be looking out for some of the pretty variegated shades when I need more sock yarn. I've also used the Esprit and it's almost exactly the same as Fixation, very nice yarn.

I hope you like the socks when they're done! It does look like the same colour I used!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:31:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Megan -Thanks! And I really love blue sky, too.

Desiree -- No seam at the bottom! The whole thing is quite magical, I think.

Emily -- Hemp yarn sounds cool. I didn't know knitpicks had hemp yarn! I'll have to check it out. Does the yarn have to have stretch (like some elastic or microfiber) to work?

Anna -- I got some kelly green fortissima in the mail (on st. pats, actually). Good to know that it wears nicely.

Thanks for the comments guys and keep it coming!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:01:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Nothing to add, I've never made socks! Thanks for the directory of vegan sock yarns...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I'm not into knitting socks yet, but if you'd like, I'll go with you to Portland to get some "sock candy"

I am totally willing to make that sacrifice, as long as it includes bicycles and vegan rubens

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

am i allowed to post to say i really like your green socks, even if i don't have anything helpful to add? and that although i haven't yet contemplated knitting socks yet, i appreciate you compiling the vegan sock yarn information.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

P.S. i'm totally in on that road trip to Portland for sock candy.

actually, i was planning on taking a trip to Portland this summer. if you all haven't found a source by then, i'll have to take orders before i leave and bring home sock yarn for everyone!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Of course you're allowed to say that! Thanks! My little note was for the possible lurker out there that might say "it doesn't kill sheep" or whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, Portland anytime! Yeeeeaaaah PORTLAND!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

i love your socks! you're doing such a great job. work sucks for me now - too busy, working from home, but i'm glad i had a few minutes to see the news in my blog friends lives - i feel better already! i only hope i can make socks one day!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Reading this, I'm really taken by how many vegans are not yet knitting socks. I mean, a lot of us started just within the year, so that makes sense, but still. We need to take the sock world by storm! (haha) Megan taught me how to "turn" and local Anne Marie taught me how to pick up stitches and Anna coached me through the whole thing, and I'm willing to teach whoever I'm near to do it so that everyone can -- go go vegan socks!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger me said...

Just wanted to let you know that Grumperina posted asking about non-wool yarn (she says silk's ok, but no other animal fiber) and I directed her over here.

=) You'll probably be getting some traffic on account of it. Hope you don't mind!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 1:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another yarn to consider is Star by Classic Elite. It is the same kind of weight as Cascade Fixation, and similar content. However, it's spun a bit differently, with the cotton sort of loose and then bound together by the elastic core. I think it's pretty terrible for anything other than stockinette and possibly ribbing - pretty rough on the hands, and doesn't cooperate with too many knitting manipulations. However, it's another option, and it comes in some super nifty colors!

I also recently read about something called GGH Sprint, a cotton/synthetic blend. I don't know too much info other than it was meant for socks, and that it was fingering weight. Like all good things, I think it's been discontinued.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 2:03:00 AM  
Blogger busy hands said...

I'm still working on my list, when I get it done, I'll add it to yours...we'll have a big vegan sock faq!

you gotta tell me where you got that sock pattern for the green socks, I've never seen the foot knitted that way!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have started a similar list, with slightly different criteria - silk is OK, but I also specified at least 50% natural fiber content, and a few other things. I haven't posted about it yet, the work-in-progress is here

Saturday, March 25, 2006 6:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home