Alchemy

(Exhibit A: tofu omelette thing with way too many spices and ingredients than you'd want to know about)
My sister has said that I cook like an alchemist. Look at my spice rack (and all the little bags and jars around my kitchen) and you'll see. I like to sneak a little of this and that into almost everything I cook. I was talking to my friend Eliza about how I wanted to eat injera at home, and I wanted to know where I could buy it readymade (I still need the answer to this question, btw). She suggested I just try to make it, but then when I started to get hesitant, she guessed what I was already about to say, which is that I don't really consider myself a baker. Or an overly good one.
Yeah, I know. I just posted last week about making four different batches of cookies (and your sweet and encouraging comments were most excellent and well received thankyouthankyou!), but trust me, any kind of dough or bread? Not so good.
I think Aaron is a better baker than me (of breadmaker bread, definitely), and he said it's because he follows directions. And then I was thinking about how in cooking I don't ever fully follow a recipe; I keep the book out and use it as a possible guide to ingredients or methods, but then I often close the book and go out on my own. I like it that way.
So what am I getting at? At least two things.
One, my sister was asking me why I have never attempted to make socks or mittens and the reason why is that I can't get my head around or conceptualize how they are made. She said you don't really need to conceptualize, you just follow the pattern. Hmm.

(Exhibit B: one armed off-the-shoulder thingy that I knit in the very beginning before I understood how to decrease. I was actually going to base my whole blog around the idea of what you could make out of a rectangle. Actually, both that idea and this knitted thing are still conceptually interesting to me on some level, though I've never gotten around to actually wearing this out.)
Two, after all my thoughts lately about blog tropes and cliches (and not just in blogs but in all kinds of writing, art, etc.), I find myself wanting to blatantly imitate someone else. I'll shamelessly admit that I want to do exactly what other people are doing and do it exactly the same way. Or close.
Who is doing it and what are they doing? Two people: Madhur Jaffrey (author of one of my favorite cookbooks, World of the East -- a book I bought almost a decade ago) and Stacey of World Vegetarian. Madhur Jaffrey writes the recipes and Stacey cooks from the book and posts her pictures. She created the blog as something for those "playing along at home." If you have the book, turn to the recipe page and see what recipe she's talking about. I got mine out of the library a few days ago, and I've already made tons of stuff. Observe...

Red Lentils with Zucchini (p. 70) and Carrot "Raita" (p. 547)

Split Urad Beans in the Delhi Style (p. 113)

Sri Lankan Sweet Potatoes with Cardamom and Chiles (p. 285)

Hulled and Split Mung Beans with Cumin and Asafetida (p. 77)

Lemon Rice (p. 380)
Except for a couple of what for me are small changes, I've followed these recipes as is. This is new for me, and while I won't change entirely, I'm definitely learning something new.
And whether I figure out how they are made or just figure out how to make them, I will be knitting socks and mittens this month.
Now regular readers of the blog know that I've been cooking more and crafting less. There are reasons for this which I've just begin to realize recently. Cooking IS crafty for me in many ways, but it's also something I can do without guilt, knowing that food needs to be eaten. March will be the month of more food, yes, but it will also be a month of crafting without guilt. So you'll get to see more knitting, sewing, embroidery, and other crafty stuff. I know you want to see Michelle Knit, right?
This week is about taking care of myself and doing things that make me happy as last week was a really doozy. So far, so good for this one. I hope to work on a new short-sleeve sweater I started at the beginning of last week but then completely put aside once I started feeling low. Though I might end up ripping it and starting it with new needles or a new yarn or making it all rib or doing it with a different stitch pattern (yes, I realize the inconsistency these statements propose). It's called BOB. No really, it's called Bob!
p.s. What's most funny to me about this long post is that it came out of the idea of wanting to share the pictures of what I'd made with Stacey, but I guess I had a lot more on my mind than that.






11 Comments:
Oh, i like Bob (not BOB!) and good for you for taking care of yourself this week! i also truly belief that cooking is crafting - even when following a recipe to the T. Your dishes look scrumptious!
I cook like that too! Add what ya need until its right! I soooo get what you're saying about needing to be able to conceptualize what you're making before you can make it too. That makes perfect sense. I feel the same way, which is why my gloves don't have fingers! I can follow a pattern, but I have to get the ins and outs of how and why before I start. If that makes sense.
Anyway, I agree with Mavis, go you for taking extra good care of yourself this week! I hope you have a great one!
Oh geez, I'm sorry, I meant VANIA! Duhhh! Sorry, sorry!!
Wow. I read this last night, but my beloved was whisking me off to bed (not like that, but still in a manner that I couldn't reply). I'm very impressed by the many dishes and the beautiful bowls and I love the photos on the cookbook. By cookbook is all sorts of filled with notes and the blog was basically a way for me to make my notes and to let everyone know how awesome of a cookbook it is. It was mostly utilitarian, but still, you make me blush.
I don't usually use spoons to measure spices, although I have been for my WV project. But I can totally switch and go into "measure-everything" mode for bread and cookies. Dave measures every ingredient all the time (even the milk for mac & cheese) - it drives me nuts.
Having a week to take care of yourself and make yourself happy is a great idea. Have fun - it looks like the weather will cooperate, too.
wow, you have been cooking like crazy! it all looks delicious.
i cook the same way but i think i'm more militant about it. trying to follow a bunch of different recipes from the same cookbook is my idea of cooking hell. i also knit the same way.
i've always avoided baking because it's so measurement-oriented and because you have to have a much better understanding of baking if you are going to go "off-recipe" than you do with most dishes. but i think it's possible to do some kinds of baking without getting too wrapped up in measuring every little ingredient. cookies seem pretty amenable to alchemy style cooking, and i've started to experiment with going off-recipe with cookies. someday it would be cool to be able to just make up a cookie recipe on the spot.
i can't believe everyone knew about stacey's blogs except me. i just found them yesterday. i'm such a doofus.
oh my goodness, that food looks wonderful. so fresh and yummy. i wish i had more time to cook, but it's always a trade-off. cook or knit or sleep or go to the gym...
i, too, like Bob, but BOB brought back scary memories. eek!
Wow, you've been busy! I definitely think cooking is a creative process - and even more so when you adopt an "alchemist's" approach. Plus, a recipe provides more instant gratification than a sock which is often a good thing. I do like your rectangle theme idea though. I hope this week is going better for you!
I love to cook and bake! Sometimes I follow recipes, other times I don't. Many things I make are adapted from omni versions so it was totally made up as I went, but then I keep replicating it the same each time. A lot of it depends on how much time is available to cook that nite.
I am more likely to change around ingredients in baked stuff. I have a basic idea of a cake or cookie recipe in my head that I make as many or as few changes as needed to produce what I want. I'm no good at bread though, it never rises (rolls usually do okay).
As a psychology-oriented person, I can't help but wonder what it means to be one type of person or another--the type who likes to follow directions and patterns determined by someone else (be they sock patterns or recipes) and the type who likes to do their own thing, to understand the logic behind the pattern, who will someday be able to create the pattern themselves. I hate to say that, as you know, I am clearly the former. Certainly the latter sounds more creative and intelligent, more flexible, more able to discover and learn. My way often has excellent results--I'm a pretty good baker!, and my craft stuff comes out nicely, but I can't say that I really have any idea what I'm doing.
I hope you take lots of time for yourself, Michelle :) Taking time to do things *you* want to do makes such a difference.
This past Thanksgiving, I boycotted the holiday and spent the entire weekend by myself, doing things I wanted to do - shopped, rearranged furniture, knitted, made necklaces, watched about 10 movies on TV (!). I swear, the first day back to work after that, I was giddy. I literally smiled and giggled all day, I felt so good.
Have fun with Bob :) And the food looks awesome!
Do you have a photo of you wearing the off-the-shoulder thingy? I'm having trouble visualizing it on...
I wanna come over and cook with you and Stacey! The Vegan Alchemist's Kitchen...could make a goo short story!
Post a Comment
<< Home