michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Last night . . . a dinner party

And we were in charge of bringing the vegan dessert. I wanted to use the opportunity of this party to make a variety of cookies, and I ended up making four different types of cookies. While this took a bit of time, I think the effort was worth it. Check them out!

We left a ton with Michael and Lauren and were still able to bring a bunch home.
MMMMMM cookies!
Here are the details...

Cookie 1: Maple Flax Sesame Cookies

This recipe comes from Jae over at domesticaffair, and these were simple and incredible. I used the same proportions, I made the wavy impression with my fingers, and I added some sesame seeds to the top cause I thought that would be nice, and these went over very very well. Maple is one of my favorite flavors, and I loved the crunch
of the flax and sesame.



Cookie 2:
Peanut Butter Cookies
My sister met Beth A. Barnett (also known as Beth Bee) at a book or zine or craft show (I forget) a few years ago, and she ordered this homemade cookbook, Rabbit Food, and had it sent to me.

It’s an adorable and completely user-friendly book with great recipes of all kinds. I followed the ingredients except I used half of the sugar (when I made these for myself once before, I used even less sugar and used applesauce instead of margarine). I made the fancy cross hatches with a fork that the book suggested, and then I added a plump chocolate chip to the middle of each cookie. These were very crumbly as opposed to chewy (the result I got last time), but people seemed to really like them that way. And these were super-sweet, so cutting the sugar was definitely the right way to go.

Cookie 3: Green Tea Cookies

This recipe is from Megan, lover of all things green tea.
I substituted brown rice flour in place of the white flour and 1/3 cup agave nectar + 1/3 maple syrup for the 2/3 of maple syrup called for in the recipe. Right before I made these, I called her to ask if she thought I should add any nuts, and she didn’t think so, and I’m glad that I followed her advice. I formed them into balls and flattened them with my fingers rather than rolling them out and using cookie cutters. The results were really powerful, delightfully fragrant, sophisticated, and subtle at the same time. I had never had anything like these before, and the beautiful green color wowed everyone.

Cookie 4: Brownie Cookies

This recipe came from The Garden of Vegan, where I get my old standby dessert, Death by Chocolate Pie, but I had decided that none of my desserts would have tofu in them so that we could avoid the “You can taste the tofu” or “I can’t believe it’s tofu” conversation which, while sometimes fun, can detract from the experience of just eating good dessert. I followed the recipe, though I substituted pine nuts for walnuts (I was itching to use the pinenuts, though they didn't really belong in this cookie) but after I mixed the ingredients, I found the mix to be extremely soupy, and there was no way I was going to be able to form them into cookies. I then went into my default dessert-baking mode where I just start throwing flour, chips, cocoa, nuts, whatever into the bowl with abandon, mixing and mixing till I got some kind of cookie consistency. I spooned them onto the sheet (I couldn’t roll them in my hand cause they were still way too sticky) and baked them for the full time. They certainly taste good, but when you look at them, you think they’re going to be super fudgy though they're not. We have the most leftover of those, though I actually think they taste better today.

19 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

yummy! i like how the green tea cookies add color to the mix.

Monday, February 27, 2006 8:33:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Yay! I'm so glad they turned out well. The texture can sometimes be tricky, so I was afraid they were going to be too dry or hard. The recipe is easy to play with though, so you can adjust it to you liking if you make them again.

And I'll definitely be trying Jae's cookies soon. I bought flaxseed especially for them a while ago. The sesame seeds were a nice touch.

You must have been the hit of the party! Enjoy those leftovers! And by the way, the green tea cookies freeze well in case you want to save some for later.

Monday, February 27, 2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

YUM! I love cookies, but never make them cuz a cake is sooo much faster. You have such a good variety too, something for everyone and they are all so pretty.

Monday, February 27, 2006 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger vania said...

i love brownies! i've never head green tea cookies, so i'll have to try them out. thanks for posting all the links for them. great work, and kudos for showing that vegans can eat good desserts!

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm... great spread! i'll need to try out those green tea cookies.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger mishka said...

those look incredible. I've never has green tea cookies before... they are so pretty!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger jae said...

glad you enjoyed the flax cookies.
i've been meaning to try megan's green tea cookies - some time soon....

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Jessica said...

Good heavens, those look amazing - I'm especially intrigued with the green tea cookies. You outdid yourself - hope the dinner guests were suitably impressed and laudatory! Did I spell that right? Ah, well.
xoxo MJ

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, those look great! I'm so impressed with your baking skills. The green tea cookies look so awesome in the mix. :D

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

they all sound unbelievably delicious! and the green tea cookies are so darn pretty. your friends must have been very impressed!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I just read your comment, and I don't have a local posse of vegan knitters either. I do live in NJ, but I live near a train station and I'm in NYC a lot, so I'll do vegan knitting things with you in NY.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They all look great, although I think I'd like the green tea and brownie ones the best.

One thing I miss not being able to eat since being vegan was these green tea twigs I bought at the Japanese candy shop. They were green tea cookies dipped into chocolate. Oh boy! I wonder if your recipe would make a good version...

Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Those green tea cookies look delish. I'm going to have to make those soon!!

Friday, March 03, 2006 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I'm always in charge of the vegan thing too, at potlucks. "oh just bring something YOU can eat, there won't be much you can." Looks delicious!!

Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I was just playiong on friendster and I was peeking at Mike D's friends and there you are. That's so funny. I love life. It wouldn't let me email you, but maybe you can send me a msg through that and then I don't have to post my e-dress for all the world to see.

Monday, March 06, 2006 6:49:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

hey, it looks like you updated your blog but i can't see it! what's up?

Monday, March 06, 2006 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can't believe it, I just followed the Rabbit Food Cookbook link and found a blank recipe book there, I looked high and low for one of those for ages and ages and finally settled for one which is ok but not exactly what I wanted!

Oh well, when the one I've got is full I will have to buy the cookbook and blank book from the site, I can always pick them up when I get to visit Portland as they're for sale in a few places there!

Always the way huh? :o)

Saturday, April 08, 2006 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

mmmmmm!!! cookies!! where do you get the green tea for yours?

we have the same tea kettle. mine's red, though :)

Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Anna -- yes, Portland is the place of all good things!

Gleek -- do you know St. Mark's Books? (around the corner from St. Mark's Place, off 3rd Ave.) Anyway, there's a store above it called "Sunrise Food Mart" or something like that, and it's there.

I wonder why bloglines makes like I updated this page. I wrote it over a month ago...

Saturday, April 08, 2006 9:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home