michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Midweek Munchies (backdated, cause I can)

Alright, so I'm a part of Midweek Munchies, and I haven't been writing in the blog all week so I didn't get to this until now. And I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a list of what I want to eat, what I'm going to go buy to eat, or what I have available to eat. Could someone tell me?

We just went grocery shopping, so I'll list what I got, and then I'll add what we have in the fridge already. If you like lists (like me!) then read on; if you don't, well check back tomorrow. I should have another post with pictures and other stuff.

Ok, we went to Westside Health Foods and we bought:

swiss chard
brocolli
cucumber
2 pears
2 potatoes
olive oil
pita bread
(I'm leaving out the stuff that Aaron buys for himself -- tofurkey slices, veggie booty, fruit leathers and other things I usually don't eat)

now I'm forgetting what else. But I know in my fridge I have:

cauliflower
cilantro
grapefruit
carrots
boston lettuce (tiny bit)
spinach
soy products

and the following leftovers:

chickpeas with mint sauce
rice
hummus
pesto

I think I'm going to make sandwiches with hummus, cucumber, carrot, spinach, etc. I'll eat chickpeas with rice for dinner on Sunday (will be out Saturday). Umm, I'd like to make a cucumber raita with the wildwood soy yogurt I have. I'll be eating more fruit. I might make another brocolli soup, this time with potatoes. I'll be making one of the dals with swiss chard from World Vegetarian.

Gotta go watch a movie (and we're making popcorn!)

added later:
MY (Harmonia's) QUESTION THIS WEEK: What would you or could you do with Wheat Germ? Buckwheat Groat?
I really haven't done anything with buckwheat groats in a long time, but wheat germ is nice for sprinkling on cereal. There's a "wheat germ stitch" in one of my stitch books that I've been meaning to try out. When I do, I'll post it here.

6 Comments:

Blogger me said...

Hey there! Reading your blog is making me hungry! I have no food in my house ever anymore... I mostly eat at my boyfriends. Every time I buy food, it goes bad before I can eat it.

Wanted to tell you I bought some Cascade Fixation for socks today. Won't be able to knit them for awhile, but I might swatch and give you a review.

=)

Friday, March 17, 2006 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Would buckwheat groats be kasha? If that's the case, I'd make kasha varnishkes (kasha w/bowties) - sautee onion, add buckwheat, quickly add water or veg stock. When buckwheat is done, add cooked bowties, but use bowtie pastas because bowties off carlson tucker taste nasty.
If I was really motivated, I'd make kasha knishes.




No, I wouldn't

Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:54:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

i too don't have much food around - haven't had time to do grocery shopping. we're thinking of getting into an organic box delivery....then at least we'd have some food around. i have never heard of buckwheat groats but i use wheatgerm on smoothies, yoghurt (for j), as a casserole topping, in muffins...

Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Chickpeas with mint sauce sounds tasty. I've been meaning to make some kind of chickpea-salad thing to use as a filling for pita sandwiches.

And guess what! I rented "me and you and everyone we know" for this weekend! I can't wait to see it after hearing your many references to Miranda July!

Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

wheat germ tastes good sprinkled on soy ice cream.

Monday, March 20, 2006 4:05:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

I love wheat germ. I used to make these protein rich goo balls that I would eat as a snack when I was in school or traveling. I rolled them in wheat germ to remove the gooeyness on the outside and to add a little crunch. Yummy!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home