michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Sock and I are no longer strangers


So on Friday, I thought I was going to get a head up on two of my self-imposed assignments, Learning to Love You More and Learning to make a sock, so I go out to the laundromat, microcosm of human society and workplace of much knitting, to accomplish both.

My LTLYM assignment of the day? #30 (Take a picture of strangers holding hands). No one really holding hands at the laundromat this time of day. So I look outside. I drop my knitting, rush the camera out of the case, and run to take the picture above.

I get home, all proud of myself, but then it turns out that the assignment is a bit more complicated. Maybe I should have read it first.

I wasn't quite ready for that. However, I did manage to become acquainted with (dun dun dunnn) The Sock.


It's the Ribbed Fixations Socks written by our own Liverpool sensation, Anna!

I got in quite a bit of quality sock time at the laundromat. And then even more on Friday while I moaned on the couch and Saturday while I listened to poetry at the Bowery and then more while I watched The Elephant Man.


This is all very strange, this working on making socks. I really like the process of making them, cause they make such a nice and dense but soft fabric. When I try it on, it feels so nice on my leg. The challenge with gussets and what not is kind of exciting to anticipate.

And it looks like a legwarmer!

But I never really cared too much about socks before. It's tights that I wear most. Check out the socks I wore out yesterday and you'll see it's going to take a lot to make a big sock knitter out of me.

That said, I've already been looking a lot at the different colors of Cascade Fixation that I'd like to make into socks one day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Looks like you've made a great start on those socks! I love the green too. Perhaps you'll be tackling that dreaded gusset by Tuesday - not to worry, it's quick and painless!

I'm the same way about socks. Really, in the winter I just wear tights for the most part. And then in the summer I often wear sandals and therefore no socks at all. But I do love the idea of brightly colored handknit socks so I may just have to dress to accomodate my knitting.

See you soon - hooray!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

michelle!

i'll say it again -- AWESOME socks! talk about happy feet.

and love the blog! and also checked out LTLYM and world vegetarian - both very cool.

see you next week!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about socks AND tights, like I'm sporting right now?

I love tights, too. I wish they were quick to knit as I'd do a ton of patterns. But since they are not, I am excited to do the socks. I have the same yarn in purple. I wanted to get that green while on sale at my LYS but they only had one skein of green.

The bad part is that I lost one of my DPNs of both 5s and 3s. Grrr!!!

Oh, and you don't need a cable needle to try cabling. You can do it with a short DPN that's the same size as your regular needles for the project.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Welcome to the world of socks! How are you liking the fixation? I couldn't deal with it for socks so I just use various sport and dk weight yarns for my socks. My favorite thing about socks is that once you find the heel and toe you like you can design your own using any stitch or cable pattern you like. I can't wait to see the finished pair.

Monday, March 13, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Your recent projects look awesome!!! I would love for you to be a weekly on Midweek Munchies! Feel free to begin at anytime. I will add you to the blogroll today! Thanks for letting me know!!!

Monday, March 13, 2006 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

the sock looks great, and i really like your photo, even if it doesn't fulfill the assignment.

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

i totally love the colors of your socks! i admit that while i enjoyed socks, i haven't been bitten by the bug.

(your mismatched ones are tres adorable!)

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

great job on the socks! socks and sturdy sweater projects scare me. i especially love your foot in that photo!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home