michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Hump Day is Food Day

Ok, so I'm going to use this hump day* opportunity to both think about what foods I'll buy/use in the coming week to make more food as well as to reflect (well not so much reflect, but show pictures of) the dishes I've made over the past week or so.

What I'm contributing for Midweek Munchies for the week:
  • I'd like to eat more leafy greens, steamed or raw (like kale, beet greens)
  • More salad, too (I'd like to make a caesar salad)
  • More fruit
  • More grains like Kamut and Millet
I don't know what I'm going to buy yet (I'll edit this when I know). I know that I need lemons, but I have to look in my fridge for the rest. I guess I wasn't ready to post, but I wanted to get this on by midweek!

Harmonia's Question of the day: What would you do with silken tofu? Any recipes?
Usually I make dessert with silken tofu, but I'm not in the mood for any heavy desserts right now. If I were to make dessert, I might make the chocolate pie from a few entries ago. Otherwise, I might make a dip with it, with some chopped up vegetables and spices. Maybe add my pesto to it, since I haven't been eating too much of it and it should get used up soon. Oh, if I make a caesar dressing for my salad, I'd use a bit of silken tofu. Tofu, lemon juice, black pepper, capers, I forget what else.

So that's my Midweek Munchies. Oh, I also decided that the W in Wednesday stands for World Vegetarian Day. So, I present my latest entries in the WV project.


Chickpeas and Chana Dal Cooked Together in a Mint Sauce (p. 34-35. I thought I had "chana" dal but it turned out that I had "toor" or "tovar" dal, so I used that instead)

Black Eyed Peas with Swiss Chard (p. 20)

Gujarti Cucumber "Raita" (p. 550)

I was going to make one of the WV cauliflower dishes (like the one on p. 162 -- Cauliflower Stir-Fried with Ginger and Cilantro), but when I looked at the recipes, I kept thinking about how Eric's (my sister's husband) cauliflower was much more appealing. So, I made it.

"Cauliflower de Stein"

Next time I have cauliflower and potatoes at the same time, I'll finally make Aloo Gobi (p. 163). Mmmm. Actually, I did have potatoes at the same time, but I used them to make Potato Skins. So excited to eat them, so no pictures!

And, cause we're talking about the munchies, about a week ago we heard our friend Thom do a reading on by Ave. A. Realizing how close we were to the Vegan Bakery, we took some stuff to go. I couldn't wait to eat my cupcake so I started on it while waiting for the train!


*I always liked the way "hump day" sounds but there's not many opportunities to use it. Hump Day Hump Day ha ha ha.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture of you is adorable!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Caesers Wife's Dressing from either GOV or HIAV is lovely and has silken tofu in it. I also use silken tofu for baking sometimes.

ummm, cupcakes, ummmm! lol

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I just realized that there's silken tofu in my cupcake!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:21:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

That is such a cute picture of you! Mmmm, vegan bakery. I'll have to check out their treats. And, go to babycakes for goodness sake! They're the best!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Silken tofu is a great egg replacer, I use it any time I have it one hand. I also really like to use it in lasagna as a ricotta cheese substitute.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:32:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

vegan cupcakes...mmmmmm! was it fluffy?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:56:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

you inspired me to take out "world vegetarian" from the library. i had no idea it was such a massive book! everything you have made from it looks so delicious. i'll have to get cooking once i have a bit more time to experiment.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:05:00 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

WOW! Great entry! Thanks for the tidbit on my Question of the day! Neat! Also thanks for the great idea about the capers! I bought some a while back and have yet to do anything with them.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I've used silken tofu for tofu scramble, but now I just leave it in my pantry in preparation of nuclear holocaust or a pudding craving. The Flying Star in Albuquerque makes an amazing tofu scrable with chunks of silken. (not sure though if it's vegan, I ate it years ago)

sadly, hump day has nothing to do with humping

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:06:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

what are you talking about, every week there are many opportunities to say "hump day"!?

the best caesar salad i ever had used romaine leaves that were grilled. yum! just a suggestion if you were still planning on that caesar.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Man, black eyed peas and kale sound really good. Thanks for sharing this.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use silken tofu to make a kickass vegan french toast.

One of these weekends I'll make some and post pics and the recipe. It also uses some almond butter.

Y U M

p.s. Hump Day!

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:39:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

ice cream! hump hump away!

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home