michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

This Blogging Life: Part 2 (aka Jen Comes To Visit!)


I might be a knitting vegan, but Jen is THE knitting vegan, and this past weekend she came to visit!

A couple of days ago, Jen wrote me a message from work saying she "might" be in town. And she was here and now she's gone, all so quickly.

She came in around 8-ish on Friday. After hanging out for a bit at our apartment, we headed out to Williamsburg to what Aaron and I decided ahead of time is the must-have vegan-bomb for all visiting vegans and veges -- vegan buffalo wings at Food Swings! We walked down Bedford, stopped in for some coffee and other things, and then tasted the most unhealthy fried goodness. Shakes, too! Just two pieces for me, and I was done, and we had some leftovers to take home.

(from leftovers the next day)

We came home and drank tea and talked and that was that. It felt so comfortable with her at my house, which is strange, cause I'm not a big having houseguests kinda person. Partly I love it and partly it makes me tense (cause I'm not a good housekeeper type). But none of that.

The next day, I made veg. french toast and fruit (Jen helped me with the fruit), Aaron left to go hear Barret Watten give a talk about Jazz, and we stayed behind and hung out, looking at pictures and such.

Then we headed off to the post office (I need some motivation) to send off Paul's baby's baby hat, Anna's "I finally got around to that" trade (it should be there soon, Anna!) and some of our old magazines for my sister.

After that, we walked to the new-ish vegan raw food place in my neighborhood, and we ate great mock salmon rolls (Jen) and pizza (me) with pineapple drinks! Then I gave her more of a neighborhood tour while we talked and talked.

Jen had to head off to meet up with another internet friend, Raphael, so we said our goodbyes. I was sad to see her go cause I thought it would be a long time until I saw her again, but now that I know she'll be coming back soon, I'm looking forward to that.


Here is another picture of us, taken a few seconds after the other one. I wish I had more. Next time. Oh, the hat she's wearing is a hat I made during a really horrible staff development workshop in December, made for a former coworker/friend who had an E.L.H. and so it didn't fit. Since then, I haven't known who it was for, but she admired it, and I realized it was for her. Yeah!

And Jen, I've been pouring that Uncle Brotha's hot sauce on my food like it's going out of style! Thanks!

p.s. I've been wondering, who will I meet next? Well, it shouldn't be so hard to meet Carrie (I'd love that!) since she IS in the city. Another one, and this is just a hunch, would be Vania, who has mentioned coming to visit the city this Spring (I'd love that, too!) Otherwise, I wonder if I'd get to meet her (and the rest of the Toronto craft posse) in Toronto one of these days I'm visiting the un-laws (a phrase I'm borrowing from Jen) in Buffalo? We'll just have to wait and see . . . next time on

This Blogging Life: Part 3!

9 Comments:

Blogger vania said...

hey i'm so jealous you two got to meet! don't worry, one day soon i will make my way to NYC - and it's now written that you may make your way up here....I'm sure you two had a fabulous time!

Also, i love your Vegan District post - wow, there sure is a lot to do there! I can't say that Toronto can compete with that, but we do have pockets that have a few vegan stores/places/restos!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

we should definitely get together soon. i'd love a trip to the vegan district -- those cupcakes are to die for.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Vania -- I hope you come visit soon! Let me know! I'm not sure if I'll be in Buffalo before July, but I'll definitely be there then -- yeah! (not so much for Buffalo itself, though I am really excited for the train station wedding I'm going to there and definitely yeah for a trip to Toronto!)

Carrie -- Let's hang out soon (Megan wants to hang out with you, too!) When are ya free?

Friday, March 31, 2006 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

i thought i already commented here, strange...

seeing those photos of the buffalo wings is making me hungry for that delicious dinner. i had such a good time meeting you, we'll definitely have to do it again.

and i love my hat!!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

i'm so jealous that you and jen got to meet and hang out! sounds like you packed a lot of fun into your short time together. i love that 1st picture of you two together on the subway...so cute! are you really going to visit toronto this summer?!? that would be great!!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 5:40:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

ha ha you SHOULD be jealous cause Jen is awesome! It was so nice! Oh, but I'm equally as jealous of you for getting to meet Mishka and Carla and of Mishka and Carla for getting to meet you! Look at me with all my exclamations!

Yeah, I'm really really into the idea of going to Toronto this summer. My plans to go to Buffalo are super definite and Toronto really isn't too far from there at all!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

HEY! I just saw your comment on Krissy's blog and I HAD to go a-searching to see what you were referring to. I was all like "If Michelle is coming to Toronto, I HAVE to know!" Yay! That would be awesome. Seriously awesome. Keep me abreast! (<-- one of my fav silly expressions)

Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:53:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

michelle, that is too exciting!!! yes, definitely keep us up-to-date on your plans. we have to make sure we're all around when you visit. :)

YAY!!

Thursday, April 06, 2006 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

aww!!!! i've got such a big grin on!

Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home