michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Friday, March 24, 2006

This Blogging Life


Me, Megan, and our Vintage Popcorn Stitch Headbands!

I was never on the internet until college, and at that, it was the very end of my sophomore year. I was writing an article about Beck coming to play a show for the local arts weekly, ArtVoice, and I wanted some more information, and I heard that you could find out a lot of things on the internet (!) So, I went to the library, had a librarian help me navigate through the sites, and printed out the pages. I didn't go on the internet again for a few months later, and it was probably more than a year later until I felt comfortable with it. I tell you this because never in a million years would I have expected then to have a blog or be meeting people from the internet!

The first person I met through the internet was Megan. She's super sweet, and we've hung out twice already, first at Souen, then another time at VP2 and Tea Spot. We always meet right after she's gotten off of work, so not for too long, but I always love meeting with her.

Today I hung out with Stacey for the second time. We went to Mana for brunch and then The Museum of Television and Radio to watch SNL short films and nostalgia tv. We didn't get to the nostalgia tv (too beat), but we did enjoy the SNL. It was the second time I saw this program (the first time several years ago), and there are still some films I really love: Prose and Cons about the future poets of the world being discovered in prison and especially The Procedure, a short film that features Willem Dafoe having the song "Private Eyes" implanted into his brain!

I never got around to posting about our first meeting last Thursday, though you can read about it here and a little more here, but I do have pictures from that fun-filled day.

We went to the New Museum's exhibit of Andrea Zittel: Critical Spaces . This image is from the New Museum's website. I loved these dresses, but if I was allowed to take pictures, I would have taken pictures of the dresses in the back, which were a lot more exciting.

Many of them were handknit, and the guard yelled at me for getting too close to the dresses. Ya know, cause knitted fabric disintegrates if you get too close to it.

It's not as if I don't know how to behave in a museum or that I've never been. Sheesh.

Here's Stacey with the famous folded Brompton bicycle!


While we were walking to S'Nice, we saw a guy on a Brompton and we kind of exchanged a secret sign or wave or something. Kind of like when you're on the subway and you see someone else knitting and you exchange a "sisterhood" sign or something. I felt connected to that guy for a second, even though I don't ride a Brompton or any other bicycle.

We knitted and talked for a while at S'Nice, I taught her how to do cables (cause I was so excited to have learned them), and then we walked east, Stacey to Cooper Union, me to Integral Yoga Natural Foods to pick up some mint and other stuff, and then home.

We'll be hanging out again next week (yeah!), and tonight, Jen is coming to visit! Oh, this Blogging Life!

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Yes, it's quite remarkable the things and people you can meet on the internet these days! Who knew? I used to think the internet was so impersonal and actually discouraged making real conenections, but alas, my blog has proven me wrong! I've enjoyed our visits together so much and I look forward to many more!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger The DeDe said...

Hi, Michelle! It's been awhile. I hope all is well. It's great to see pictures of you and Jen... reminds of the days at La Negrita :-) I've still been going on Thursdays although Dave isn't playing anymore. I love S'Nice... I've been there several times. It's a nice spot... a good spot to knit.
DeDe

Saturday, April 01, 2006 6:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home