michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Vintage Popcorn-Stitch Headband


Thanks for all of your compliments on the popcorn-stitch headband (and also many thanks for your sweet comments re: my return to blogland. It's nice to be back!) So, here's the info on the headband, as requested...

Pattern:
Free Pattern (!) available here. Scroll down to the bottom where it asks for your name and email address. Right away, they'll send you two books: one, Stoles and Shawls and the other, a bonus that they don't mention on the site, High Fashion Hats. It's the Popcorn-Stitch Headband pattern (no. 1278) that's on page 6 of the original book (7 of the pdf file) of High Fashion Hats.
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft, victorian rose (way less than one skein)
Needles: Size 7
Started: Friday, January 6
Finished: Monday, January 9

This pattern was straightforward, the bobbles are fun and easy to learn (just knit into the front and back of the stitch to make 5 stitches, then bind off four of those stitches, then the next purl stitch will bring the bobble to the right side of the work). And believe it or not, this is really the first time I did seed stitch. I mean, it's as easy as rib, which I do a lot, so I wonder what took me so long? Now that I've tried it, I think it's quite a nice stitch -- simple and lovely! I think if I made this again, I might go down a needle size to make the headband a bit more sturdy. Or double the yarn. Or make it out of fancier yarn. My friend Jenn is making one, too (out of Manos, by the way). Matter of fact, I wonder if she's done yet. Jenn?

8 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

thank you so much for the link! i'm going to hop over there now. so cute!

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:59:00 AM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the free patterns and they are great. I wish I could afford to buy some of their collections.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to check it out. I don't normally wear headbands but my ears get really cold in the wind and often I end up with some stupid funky polartec hat just to keep them warm. This is much more fashiony. And I've been wanting to try making bobbles.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Thanks Michelle! I've already downloaded my book and can't wait to start on the headband.

Btw, the shawl I'm making is the highland triangle shawl from Folk Shawls. I love all the patterns in that book, but many of them are so enormous that actually making them is kind of daunting.

Friday, January 20, 2006 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

thanks from me too. some of those pattern books are hilarious! i just downloaded my new free pattern book too!

Friday, January 20, 2006 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

That's sweet! I'm planning to make a hat with bubbles, maybe with cotton Stria, it's not too cold here. Check out the pattern:
http://spunmag.com/article/051229bobblehat

That website is a knitting mag, but it has some veganny recipes on it, btw!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

TAG- You're it! I am tagging you with the meme on my blog.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. my. god. that headband is the cutest effing thing ever! Thanks you so so much for the link!!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home