"And when I see the light, I know I'll be all right"
Yes, It's been a while since I've posted. Thank you to all who have written to check up on me. I'd like to make the time for a "catch up" post some time later this week, but for now, why don't I tell you about my weekend in Philadelphia?
The trip to Philadelphia had two purposes: 1) to go to my sister's new husband's (former long-term boyfriend, Eric) younger sister's (Susie) wedding. 2) to check out Philadelphia (and particularly the Duchamp holdings of the Philadelphia Museum of Art) the day before the wedding (since Aaron and I elected not to go to the "aufruf," a ceremony that I don't really know enough about to explain here.) Ok, on to the pictures.

On the way to Philadelphia. It's rainy.

Here I am showing off two recently finished objects -- one, a popcorn stitch headband (a vintage pattern that my friend Jen gave me -- finished 1/9/05), the other, a simple scarf made of two pretty purple fabrics sewn and then turned inside out, then stitched at the ends (finished 1/1/06). I gave the scarf to my mom.
I'm standing on the balcony of our hotel (the 23rd floor!) by the way. More about the fancy hotel later.

Still rainy, but less so, outside the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Unfortunately, I'm realizing now that we didn't get pictures of the steps, though they were fun to climb, and we were greeted by kids joking around, yelling "Adrian!"

Though here's Aaron by the fountain (turned off), with a closer view of the museum.

Peeping into Marcel Duchamp's "Given: 1. The Waterfall, 2. The Illuminating Gas" (worth the price of admission, though you could pay as you wish on Sundays). Also of note: "The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even" (incredible to see in person, as I had only seen it in photographs in books and there is no comparison), "Nude Decending A Staircase 1 and 2," along with his readymades (many of which were his replicas of earlier ones). There was also Joseph Cornell and all kinds of other exciting stuff. Too much to see, really, for the time we had.

Still rainy, we take a taxi to South Street.

Outside Govinda's Art Gallery and Cafe. The food, an eclectic buffet, was really great. I particularly loved the salad that came with our meal that had an asafoetida dressing and the vegan chicken noodle soup (of which I had 2 1/2 small bowls!)

South Street at Front. It's pretty cold by the Delaware. We ran into an English teacher from work while we were walking down South Street. That was definitely unexpected.

AA really liked the tv in the elevators. I pressed the buttons for several extra floors with my back while this picture was being taken.

Oh gosh, our hotel was fancy and we really had fun. This was a separate bedroom, like an apartment.

The room package came with champagne that they delivered to the room, and my parents and sister, Laura, came to the room to hang out. Her is my sister teaching me how to crochet. It didn't really stick (except for the single crochet chain). This may be because of the champagne (or maybe not).

The day of the wedding, in the hotel. I had different songs from the soundrack to Saturday Night Fever in my head all day.

With my sister, Eric, and Eve (his other sister)

The hora.

Susie and Finley. I begged my sister to help me go up to the woman in the foreground and ask about her glasses. Then she let me try them on!

Dancing.

We really liked how old this picture looked -- because of my 70's dress and his 70's tie -- and the drapes in the background.

Eating the melon that was left on the plate of the non-vegan dessert. Yeah for melon but boo for non-vegan desserts.

A teenager came by and wanted a picture of my dad because he said he looked like someone he knew. My dad gave him a hard time, but then consented.

With Laura at the end of the wedding.

Some nice pictures Aaron took on the way back to New York.

I like how this looks like script.
Now that I'm back, I'm missing that soup (kept thinking about it when I thought about what I wanted for lunch) and also really hoping I'll get a chance to check out more of Philadelphia soon.






9 Comments:
Yay for the new post!
The last time I was at a Jewish wedding, I was the flower girl, and I fit in with your 70s theme. Only it was my slip, and it had slid down below the hem of my dress and I never noticed until I saw the photos afterwards. It had huge brightly colored flowers on it. How embarassing!
My best friend lives in Philly, and I've never yet been. Cross our fingers, hubbie and I will be coming East during my February break and I'll get to see my beloved city and to visit my BF in Philly.
I'd love to see some of Cornell's work IRL. Do you have the huge photo book with accompanying CD-ROM? It's GRRRRREat!
I like fake chicken noodle too but the last one I had was Amy's brand and I didn't like it at all. I should make some with this amazing "chicken" bullion I have from Australia. I have made it just as broth when sick and it really tastes like chicken.
Welcome back! :o)
Glad you had a good trip, looks like a lot of fun!
Hugs
i love your dress, the tie, and your fancy hairstyle too.
i've been meaning to do a weekend in philly for a while. in addition to the PMA i want to go see the rodin museum and that medical museum, i can't remember the name. and i hear the city is very veg friendly.
plus, there's a cool indoor skatepark in the burbs in philly. i wish we had an indoor skatepark around here.
Yay, you're back! What a fabulous weekend you had! That dress is smashing, and I just LOVE the popcorn headband! Where can I get the pattern? I went to a vegetarian buffet in Montreal called Govinda . . . I wonder if it was the same owner? No vegan chicken noodle soup though, darn.
great post! love the popcorn headband (and the red wrap sweater.)
i've gotta go to philly! i would love to see "The Bride Stripped Bare..." since it was an art history staple. i've only seen maybe one or two of his pieces, i think one of the urinals maybe?
and hurrah for 70s fashions.
Yeah you're back! I love the headband, is that your own pattern?
Yay - you're back! I, of course, love your dress, and the headband too. There seems to be several of us that like it, so you'll have to let us know about the pattern.
yea you're back! so good to see you again, and i love all the pictures. I also love that purple dress, and i want that pattern for the popcorn headband! Totally cool! I'm sorry it was so rainy where you were, i can't belive this Winter - what strange weather! I also hate it when the only dessert option for us vegans is fruit, if i'm just one person out of 100, they can at least be creative!
I loved how grainy the tv in the elevator was, not that there was a tv in the elavator. It's hard to find CNN with static.
Post a Comment
<< Home