Gifts!
11 days away (actually 9 now) before the due date for Tricia's baby girl, I get inspired to pick up the needles. My new favorites, the 12" legwarmer needles, but this time, they're the perfect size for a baby hat.

It's the Children's Cotton Hat from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I made the toddler size for my cousin Lisa's baby back in August (though the picture of it is just a few entries back), but this one's the smallest size. I think it might have come out too big for her first days, but I think she'll grow into it before the winter is out. I say "I think" as if I really know anything about children or child development at all. I think it came out sweet, though.
This pattern was in the "2-4 hour gifts" section of the book, and it was true to its word (I didn't know that from last time because I worked on the hat in bits and spurts while riding in the car and hiking and camping in Maine). The hat itself took about 2 1/2 hours and the I-cord probably took about 1/2 hour. I won't be telling that to anyone else (makes knitting seem too easy). Last night, I sat myself down on the couch a little before 8 and I was done before 11. The I-cord I did today.
Oh, and it's Mission Falls Cotton, like the last one, but the I-cord tie is made out of burgundy chenille that was gifted by Anna.
Speaking of gifts (and speaking of Anna), I finally have pictures to show you. For such a low week in so many other ways, it was really an excellent week for mail. You know those days where you just feel so busy and overwhelmed. And then a simple thing like the mail can change everything.

Anna sent me my beloved rowan calmer (2 skeins -- can you say striped legwarmers!), burgundy chenille, orange all seasons cotton (which I now get to try), and a lovely orange yarn I had never heard of called Jaeger Albany. I think it will make something really delicate and elegant some day.
Then, as if that wasn't enough, she included a Jaegar pattern book and the Rowan Calmer Collection book that I've wanted for a bit. Especially with all you have been going through, Anna, it was incredibly thoughtful of you to think of me.
THEN, as if that wasn't enough, Stephanie, my old "spoilee" from Secret Pal 5, thought of me when her LYS had a sale on Soy Silk and sent me 2 lovely skeins of the softest stuff -- Oasis yarn in the "canyon" colorway. The spoiler becomes the spoiled!

It's gorgeous, and I can't wait to try it!






6 Comments:
that hat is really cute and i never would have thought it only took you 3 hours!
that's so nice that you got such nice gifties in the mail this week, what a pleasant surprise!
That hat is so cute! I wish I knew some babies so I could have some fun quick projects. I am just dying to try the soy silk but I have to work through my stash a bit first. I love getting mail, lucky!
I hope you like the Oasis. And I think you'll like Rowan All Seasons Cotton. I use it a lot.
I love your baby hat! I was drawn to that pattern when I first got the book, but have no little ones to knit it for. I love it though.
What awesome goodies! Congrats!
I love that hat. After reading your entry I went to the bookstore to check out that book. I love that it is organized by project times, perfect for the holidays.
Thanks for all your sweet comments! While I haven't made two much from the book (I've mostly made scarf gifts so far), I really like the way it's organized and hope to make more!
Post a Comment
<< Home