michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

My FO for this weekend is Root Vegetable Soup

I haven't really knit much of anything in over a week. Perhaps it's adjusting to going back to work and trying to catch up or perhaps I'm just in a funk. I picked up my needles a couple of days ago, and after knitting for a few minutes, I put them right back down. The yarn for Aaron's tie came in, but I have made only a few rows progress which I'll probably rip back since my gauge was quite loose (surprise surprise). Except for sewing some pouches out of discarded pant bottoms (from the hemming I did a few weeks ago), I haven't been up to much crafty good. I have been cooking, though: tempeh salad w/ chopped vegetables, mock "chicken" salad sandwich (with seitan), vegan caesar salad, cheezy fondue, and most recently, root vegetable soup. Since I have no pictures of it to share with you, I'll share the recipe:

Root Vegetable Soup

Boil a half pot of water. While it is heating up, peel, chop, and add the following vegetables to the pot:

3 beets (I used chiogas)
1 rutabaga
3 carrots (if organic, no need to peel)
2 parsnips (same here)
1 big yam (I first typed yarn! Use a garnet YAM!)
4 stalks celery
4 or 5 cloves garlic

Bring to a boil and then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Transfer small amounts to the food processor, adding

1 handful chopped parsley
1 tbs light miso
a sprinkle of black pepper

Blend and then pour into bowls, put some of the whole vegetables in the center of the bowl (for variety and because it looks nice that way), and eat.

3 Comments:

Blogger vania said...

mmmm, i'll have to try this. my mom just gave me some root veggies, and this time of year is Perfect for soup!

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

i just had your soup and it was great - a bit chunky because i didn't have the energy to puree it perfectly, but the miso was a great touch! thanks for putting it up.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yay! When I first put it up, I didn't really think about whether anyone would make it or not. I'm so glad you did! I made a different one with potatoes and asparagus -- maybe I'll put that one up soon.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 7:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home