michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Is That Hat My Hat?


Jackson Mac Low was a really great poet. Sometimes he would take other poets' works and perform operations or experiments on them, creating new poetry. Sometimes he was more interested in sound poetry, creating poetry out of the things that people say. I don't remember the whole story, but one poem/performance piece Is That Wool Hat My Hat? came from the relatively simple question someone asked Mac Low at a poetry reading, wondering if the hat in question is the hat he called his own.

THIS hat is MY hat!

The first one for me, made out of one hank of Pebbles (by Prism) in the "Copper Penny" colorway.

It's big, it's knit loosely, it's impractical for the current weather, and it's all mine. Oh, and of course, it's not knit out of wool -- it's 100% nylon, actually. It is super soft.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like the stripes and colours, very nice! I have some more leftover yarn lined up for a hat but no pattern and no inclination at the moment to knit it up, dpns and I need to make friends again first! Well done!

Sunday, December 18, 2005 5:34:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Beautiful colors! It matches your glasses quite nicely.

As for the vegan cookies, my coworkers have been asking for the recipe and are totally shocked to hear they were vegan - like, how can anything without eggs or butter taste good? I'll definitely have to try Sinfully vegan too!

Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

you make such good hats! i have yet to master it - i have such a problem making hats fit other people's heads. when i can't try it on them (i.e. gift) i Always make them too big. i love that you used nylon that looks so good!

Monday, December 19, 2005 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

i love the colors, and it's such a cute fit. i can never get hats to fit quite right -- instead of blaming my knitting, i'll just blame my oddly shaped head.

Monday, December 19, 2005 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger The DeDe said...

Hey, Michelle,

I lost your e-mail address! Our computer crashed a few weeks ago and my address book... gone with it. But, I wanted to let you know that Rada got me some more buttons. A lot of the buttons are the same from the group I showed you a few months ago so if you needed more of one of the color you liked the most for your cardigan or other knitilicious item needing buttons.
I hope all is well and that you had a fabulous holiday break from school!

deDe

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

hey michelle, could you email me? i don't have an email address for you.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I noticed your comment on my blog so I came for a visit! I love your blog. It's too bad that I don't live in NY anymore as we have a lot in common.

Keep posting about the vintage patterns. I just got a book called Vintage Knits and I can't wait to get started (although I do have to admit to being a bit daunted by the time it will take me to make a cardigan on size 3 needles...) For that matter, how about giving us an update! It's been 3 weeks since your last post!

Thanks for the nice list of vegan yarns. There are a few I hadn't known about that I'm going to check out. I've got quite a stash of Manos cotton stria, as well as soy silk and the Nature cotton.

Stop reminding me about those vegan donuts! I really have to kidnap the owner of Mighty-O Donuts and demand as a ransom that they start selling them down in the Bay Area!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I'm posting here becuase I am participating in Secret Pal 7 and by mistake I sent my spoilee an e-mail from my real e-mail. So I don't want to post my name on my blog in case she reads it.

It's Emily. I'm named after the actress Emily Watson, who's family my dad stayed with for a week while my mom was pregnant. She was about 6 and my dad loved the sound of the name.

Friday, January 13, 2006 6:29:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Michelle, I miss you. Will you ever blog again?

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks, that's sweet! Now that I'm ready to post, the photos are all wonky, so it's going to take me a bit. Or I might give up and try again tomorrow. But trust me when I say . . . I will be back!

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home