Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life . . . (or tales from the Vegan District)

at last I have found you!
Megan, we finally tried those babycakes, and of course you were right. They're the best!

My own little cupcake with his wheat-free (spelt) chocolate babycake

He is pretty much in heaven, with sweets and a coffee

Me with my gluten free (garbanzo/fava) vanilla babycake
The cakes themselves, wheat or gluten free -- I like em both, were delicious, but the frosting, man, is out-of-this-world! There's a t-shirt from Babycakes : "It's a Frosting Thing." Yeah. I want that shirt, bad. They really are super satisfying without that too too sweet crazy feeling I get with other desserts. Yum.
Other tales from the Vegan District
We had a super vegan-y weekend (Monday, too), and I've been looking for the right opportunity to talk about what has come to be known (by my little circle) as the "Vegan District." It could be argued that NYC has several vegan districts, but this is ours.
History: The Vegan District was named by my sister, Laura, visiting from Michigan a couple of years ago, when she noticed that there was a vegan restaurant, Tien Garden, and a vegan shoe store, MooShoes, on the same block of Allen St. Within that time, more things have opened and we've discovered more things, too.
Geography: The Vegan District is a small area of the Lower East Side that (for now) we've decided is bordered by Stanton on the north, Broome on the south (expanded to accomodate Babycakes!), Allen on the west and Ludlow on the east. Look at the map and you'll see it's a small area, but it's a slice of vegan heaven. Find us an apartment in that little area, and maybe we could be happy here a little longer.
Food: Tien Garden. Located on Allen St. between Stanton and Rivington, this is a great Taoist vegan restaurant with great dim sum and small snacks, sesame sauce atop noodles or "special nuggets," great lemon barley tea in the summer. You leave with a clean, healthy feeling. Nice desserts, too. The people who work there are friendly, too.
Tea or Coffee: Teany. Located on Rivington, between Orchard and Ludlow, this place has a huge selection of teas, including something exciting called a Teanycinno, which I really like. I also like the Rooibos Melon tea. They're limited to Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays now, which is a big bummer, but it should open back up during the spring/summer (?) They also have a small selection of sandwiches (the "turkey" club is nice), as well as great desserts, including cupcakes from Vegan Treats.
(update: 3/30/06: Teany starts new "spring hours," which I think includes Wednesdays and Thursdays. The website isn't updated to reflect this, but I was here myself today, a Thursday. They're back!)
Cookies: Happy!Happy!Happy! Located on Allen St. between Stanton and Rivington, this is a super small and lovely bakery with excellent vanilla bean cookies, mudslide cookies, and more. Here is a picture taken about a month ago of Aaron eating a mudslide, what he called "the best cookie he's ever had"

(update: 3/30/06: Happy!Happy!Happy! closed!)
Cupcakes: Babycakes (of course!) Located on Broome, between Orchard and Ludlow, they have both wheat free and gluten free cupcakes that are the best ever. They have tea and coffee, too, and they even have two chocolate chip cookies with icing in between!
Groceries: Earth Matters. Located on Ludlow, between (um, I'm not sure. It might be slightly outside the vegan district, and I might need to redraw the map). They sell many produce and grocery items, and it's a good stop on your way to the subway home.
Apparel: Mooshoes. Located on Allen, between Rivington and Stanton, Mooshoes sells all kinds of vegan shoes, belts, and bags. They have wallets, too, though you might have to reach under the cat to get one.
Lip balm and other stuff: Toys in Babeland. Located on Rivington, between Orchard and Ludlow, they sell the fanciest lipbalm: Pussy pucker pots! I've got the strawberry and Aaron's got the vanilla. Their slogan is "For the tastiest lips north of the hips," which should give you an indication of the other things they sell at Toys in Babeland, labeled vegan when they are, and the topic of another blog. Just go there and see.
Not necessarily "vegan" but worthy of note, is the women's bookstore, Bluestockings, right by Tien Garden, or the bar with cozy couches, The Living Room, on Ludlow between Rivington and Stanton. There's also a new restaurant, Radha, that's on Ludlow, but I've never been.

On Rivington St.
p.s. Funny that we didn't mention the "Vegan District" while Jen was here, as there was so little time and we were up to so much, but we talked instead about a similar situation going on in Porland, on SE Belmont I think it was. Vegan pizza and softserve -- yum-my!






11 Comments:
I am officially jealous of your vegan resources!
Actually, I am taking note for the next time I am lucky enough to get to NYC ;) But that probably won't be for a wee while.
Sounds like a fabulously sweet day!
So funny that you mentioned Portland's Vegan Triangle (or is it Axis of Vegan, I forget), because all I was thinking thru the whole post, was how we, like Portland have a vegan section of town.
Isn't Kate's really close to there? I remember walking from Moo Shoes to American Apparel to Kate's Joint, but I can't remember how long the walk was. I really need to make a trip to NYC!
hi michelle!
really enjoyed your LES vegan district post! my friend sarah is diabetic and was recently told she has to go dairy free for a while (for another reason), so the news about 'babycakes' is perfect timing! she has a wicked sweet tooth, like me. (if you have any other sugar free, vegan dessert recommendations let me know) i made a chocolate/tofu pie for her today (with agave nectar)-- but i wasn't around to try it out once baked.
also, i love your headband with the bubble stitches, and requested the free pattern you suggested (in an earlier post). looking forward to trying that out.
--isabelle
What a super post! I see I still have many places to visit in the vegan district. Teany and Happy Happy Happy must expand their hours! Those two places have been high on my list for a while. As for babycakes - yep, I knew you would love them. I've actually only had the spelt cupcakes in vanilla and lemon. I love them so much that I can't break away to try the wheat-free or the chocolate. Do you guys get the mug? I'm totally treating myself to one next time - so cute!
Robyn,
Kate's isn't far, but it isn't as close and compact as the rest of the district. Also, Kate's is north of Houston, which would put it into the larger, more expansive east village vegan area.
But because of the tasty, but calorie laden fare, served at Kate's, walking (or biking) there is always recommended
Also, about Babycakes:
- you can get a shot of frosting. Yep. I had chocolate frosting with a piece of lemon cake
- their hot chocolate is dairy, not vegan. I don't know why, but it's not available vegan.
Great post! WOW! I'll be coming back to this one! Awesome photos as well!
Happy Midweek Munchies, too!
i couldn't even imagine having a hot chocolate after a cupcake. i needed the rooibos tea to "clean out"
the east village vegan area is my next to write about. and it is more expansive, as stacey mentioned, so not as charming as this area, i think.
realized last night i haven't been to kate's in a long time. my grandma grew up by kate's (before there was a kate's!)
Rockin' .... thanks for the directory to your Vegan District! I gotta get back to Manhattan, and reap the deliciousness!
bluestockings isn't a 'women's bookstore' anymore, it's a 'radical bookstore', which just means the focus has been seriously broadened to include not women specific issues.
and, we have vegan snacks, these good cakes and occasionally tofurky jerky of some kind, though it's the gross kind. i'm gonna see if we can start carrying the good kind (primal strips) or if there is some reason for us not too.
oh, and our coffee is all fair trade and we always have soymilk. well, unless we run out.
i think that punjabi is vegan, though technically outside of your vegan district (it's on houston). it's really tasty indian food, though extremely spicy, but it's 2 dollars for a small dish and 4 for a big dish.
i really like guides to stuff, so i really liked this entry.
I'm so jealous! You are surrounded by vegan greatness! I'm surrounded by a bunch of beef (I live in Dallas,TX). My hubby is going to NYC for work. I'm making him bring me back some of those cookies!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home