michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

I'm Female, 30 and Taken.*

At Veggie Dim Sum House (in Chinatown) for lunch, I reenact a scene from eXistenZ I've been waiting to do all year (actually, I've done it throughout the year and whenever I have chopsticks and am in the mood...which is often. Anyway . . .)

"We'd like to order the special"

"The special is for special occasions"

"Well it's . . . her birthday."

"Oh . . . well a birthday IS a special occasion!"


So, Cronenberg silliness aside, you wanna know how I spent my birthday? Well, it was a weekday, but since Aaron was off from school, we got to spend the whole day together. And it was such a beautiful day out, probably the nicest so far this spring! First, I woke up early-ish in the morning, we had french toast at home, and then I went to get my hair cut (AA's treat).

Then we went out to lunch at Veggie Dim Sum House for a lot of food for not a lot of money. I love love love it there.

Then walked around Chinatown and the Lower East Side and took lots of pictures. Here are some:






As you all know, my weakness is cupcakes, and I found myself dangerously in the vicinity of Babycakes (not that I didn't know this all along), and of course I got one. This time, gluten-free lemon with lemon icing. Yowza!


Then we walked around some more and sat in the park and talked.

Then we went for tea and coffee at Teany and I got my favorite Teanychino with all kinds of fancy stuff in it and we talked some more. Aaahhh.


Then we went shopping around for used clothes which neither of us has done in a while, and we tried on a lot of fun stuff. Aaron got 3 shirts and I got a plaid skirt and a dress with strawberries and red rick rack on it. I'll wear both soon.

Then we hung around on a park bench. Sitting and talking and watching people go by is one of my favorite things to do.


Then we walked to dinner at Pure Food and Wine, a fancy shmancy raw vegan place that neither of us had ever been, and we had great fancy food and fancy drinks and shared a fancy delicious dessert and we'll probably never go there again.



The dessert was out of this world!

Then I remembered that we forgot about Days of Heaven at Film Forum,

but that I didn't care.

and then we decided to go home

and then we did our own thing
and it was all a good time.

Next weekend (it should be a more springy weekend by then), I'm thinking the plan is to do it up with more food and drinks and dancing with friends. In my dream, you are all there, too.

This weekend, when we get ourselves moving, we're going to take an umbrella, try to find a park, and take advantage of the lovely earth on its own special day.

*This morning, I have this "realization." "Oh my god," I say to Aaron. "Go to my profile" And so he does. And the age on my profile has changed. Of course!

p.s. Thank you all for your sweet birthday wishes!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Glad it was well spent.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh Michelle, you are too cute!! What a perfect, perfect day! Cupcakes, a teanychino, wandering in the city, a special dinner, and time with your sweetie. That's how I would spend my birthday too! In fact, that's what I WILL do for my birthday this year! Hope you're having a lovely Earth Day!

Saturday, April 22, 2006 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

So glad you had a wonderful birthday! Sounds absolutely perfect and dreamy. I also love that you documented so much of it - I almost feel like I was there (as a fly on the wall...)

Enjoy your Earth Day - I am spending the day not doing anything earthy at all, but baking vegan chocolatey cupcakes for my number one special girl's birthday (mah sistah.)

*hugs*

Saturday, April 22, 2006 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

happy birthday!!! sounds like a lovely day out!

Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

sounds like a great birthday, glad you enjoyed it.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

aw, i'm so glad you had a wonderful day! it sounds like your sweetie made it extraspecial for you.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:01:00 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Happy Birthday! It looks like you had a fabulous day.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

P.S. Where do you go shopping for used clothes?

Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

i'm glad you had such a great day - and i can't believe all the good food you ate - yum yum! I can't wait to see that strawberry dress and your hair looks great! Happy 30!

Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Glad you had such a good birthday - and, with such great weather, too.

Monday, April 24, 2006 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks everyone!!!!
I still really can't believe I'm 30, but I'm sure I'll get over it. It's been cool so far!

Monday, April 24, 2006 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger Big Apple Knitting said...

Glad you had a nice Birthday. I LOVE that Dim Sum house too. I planned to go to Chinatown on Saturday for "Taste of Chinatown" but the weather put me off. Last year I had the BEST seitan shish kabob but I can't remember what restaurant it was!!

Monday, April 24, 2006 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

happy birthday!!!! what a wonderful, wonderful way to spend your day. your dress is fabulous, as is your new haircut. lemon on lemon cupcakes sound fabulous, and i adore the graffiti.

Monday, April 24, 2006 11:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such a good birthday!! :D I love your new haircut, and red handbag! And the big bubble ring? Coolness. Oh, yay for your lemon cupcake! Looks yummy!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday michelle!

i especially like the pic of you at teany, with that big mug!

looking forward to seeing you soon.

(sorry i haven't called you back -- i have been CRAZED)

xoxo isabelle

Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

What a nice day you had!!

Saturday, April 29, 2006 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Happy Birthday!! This is a wonderful posting.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home