I'm looking for the perfect flower . . . in my secret garden

It's almost hard to remember how beautiful Sunday was with all this Monday blah. Inspired by all the colors and smells, we took tons of pictures in both the Conservatory and Shakespeare Gardens (and along the way).


















Since Thursday, I've been carrying around all this stuff in my bag (different colors and brands of sock yarn, Knitting Vintage Socks, a bunch of free pattern printouts, and a bunch of different needle sizes (not shown) with the idea that I'd come up with the perfect sock to knit.

I know, a sock. I'm the type that gets on a kick (first legwarmers, then hats) and that's all I can think about. Knit-wise, that is.
When I woke up with a case of the Monday blahs, looking at those pictures, especially the ones with deep purples and blues and lavender and pink, I had an A-ha! moment.

Broadripple Socks from Knitty using cascade fixation's "hyacinth" -- my favorite flower!
And the nicest thing about this pattern is that I already know how to do the heel since the Ribbed Fixation Sock pattern used the same heel, so I've got the combination of a new challenge (this ripple pattern, which actually is pretty easy once you get going) with the comfort of something familiar.
Like your favorite spot in the garden.

Thankfully, there's more than one bench.
*footnote: According to the Garden Guide to New York City: the south section of the Conservatory was often referred to as "the secret garden," though this weekend, it really was no secret. I'm going to try to get there again during the week.

p.s. While "looking for the perfect flower," I saw this guy. And cause I don't know where else to put it, I'm going to tell you that I saw Jim Jarmusch (again) but this time he was just standing there and I saw him really close up. This was last Monday.






12 Comments:
pretty flowers and pretty sock.
i can't pick one favorite flower. the closest i can get is a three way tie between lilacs (for the smell -- my favorite smell on earth), kansan cherry blossoms (the bright pink ones), and peonies.
Thanks.
Yeah, I'm not as loyal as I sound. I think it's my favorite flower when it's on my mind or right in front of me. There are so many flowers to love.
Looks like you had a lovely day in the park! (Great necklace, by the way) I love the Broadripple socks - sometimes it's best just to keep going when you find something you like! The best way to beat a case of the mondays.
You're so cute!! The flowers are lovely. Ahh, spring!
(can you pretty please email me? pink.vegan at gmail .. I have a recipe for ya that I don't want to post)
Carla
wonderful, wonderful flower pictures. (and cute little zigzag jacket/top!) wasn't it just a gorgeous weekend?
so nice to see all of those flowers in bloom! i also want some leg warmers. i'm dying to wear skirts again!
You and Aaron are so cute. And you've totally put me in the mood for spring!
I love the picture of you and Aaron - did you take that yourself?
And thank you for posting many pretty flower pictures for those of us who haven't seen many flowers yet this spring.
Fun fun fun! Thanks for sharing.
So happy it is finally Spring. Our front yard is covered with white and purple flowers, plus there are dafodils everywhere. How do you like the vintage sock book? I still haven't seen inside it.
Awesome pictures as usual! MWM code is up!
Lovely flowers! Can't wait for them to bloom here!
what wonderful pics of flowers - how great to see NYC in bloom already. I just noticed all the buds in the trees today - spring is here!
Post a Comment
<< Home