michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Well, well, well...you just can't tell...


For whatever reason, I've been dragging my feet on this "six" meme that Vania tagged me with. I [secretly] love being tagged, so that's not it. I think I've been feeling somewhat unoriginal, wondering what's new or interesting to say about myself that I haven't already said. I've been in a little bit of a blog funk, too. So, I'm going to get a little help from my friends, as they say, and borrow liberally from their topics and themes to get this done and pass it on.

1. Like Mishka, I get obsessed about things so quickly and I fall so hard. This often means that I drop things quickly, too. I love to get into projects, specific collections, or specific things or activities or places, but then I move onto something that takes all of my attention. And then I go back, and I'm like "what happenend to that?" and then I go back to it full swing. It's kinda shocking to me that I still knit so regularly, since at the time it seemed just like something I was getting into and would quickly move away from. Things I've gotten into, with varying degrees of staying-power: knitting (and then getting really into specific projects like legwarmers or hats or now socks), sewing, beading, making beads out of femo, cooking, being on the internet, collecting tupperware or pyrex or milkglass or old jewelry or clothes, watching tv series on dvd, following film directors, taking pictures of buildings, taking pictures of development projects, being an academic, reading a lot of books, going to poetry readings all the time, going to art galleries/museums, getting into different types of music, making albums, making friends, going out a lot, being a homebody, editing video, recording what I wear, looking up word etymologies, reference books, etc...

2. Both of my parents grew up in the Bronx, and I grew up in the northern suburbs of NYC, and as a result of this, I had an accent as a kid. You know the one. When I was 12, I went to sleepaway camp in Pennsylvania, where people said "chah-colate" and "wah-ter," and when I came home, I no longer had my accent. My sister did this too to some extent (though she didn't go to sleepaway camp), both of us trying to move away partly (consciously or not) from the "oh my gawd" aspect of our surroundings (not so much our parents). So people don't often know that I'm from around here when they first meet me. After, I moved back to the city a few years ago, I noticed I sometimes slip back into it. Like the word "daughter" is a tough one for me. When Vania was talking about her name, and how it's pronounced like "Michael Vaughan(ia)" [I don't actually know who that is], I kept thinking (like Jen) that I probably would pronounce Vaughan different than Vania, so I'm confused now. I'm thinking it's "Vaaaah-nya" (and not Vawnia, as I might say if I was talking quickly or with a lot of people from New York, cause it rubs off on me). I sometimes wonder if I've picked up some Buffalo things in my accent, both from going to school there and living with Aaron. I love accents so it's strange not to have one. But maybe losing my accent IS my accent...

3. Also like Mishka, I can be very shy. And one thing Jen and I (along with Aaron, local Jenn, and a bunch of other people) have discussed is how niceness in and of itself can be somewhat overrated. It can be pretty boring or doormat-ish to be too nice. And a deception, too, since many people who think of themselves as "nice people" are often secretly catty or not nice, whereas sometimes people who are willing to admit they're not always so nice can be very sweet and caring towards the people that matter most to them. I've been looking for the perfect balance, both in myself and in my friends, for some time. Most people who know me know that given the right circumstances, I can be quite loud and kinda funny, making jokes and acting ridiculous. I'm not sure exactly what I am sometimes, in that it can change really in a second and I get all quiet. I'm working on it but it's still, in some way, always there.

4. I've been dancing my whole life, and when I was younger, we had a bare room with wood floors and a record player, dedicated to dancing. I even studied dance my first year in college. Then I was in a car accident over the summer between my freshman and sophomore years where I hurt my neck and upper back and stopped dancing for awhile. Now I'm dancing again, though not in that way, and mostly in my own apartment. I completely love it, though. I think I dance at least a little bit each day. The other day, someone was parked outside our house playing music, and "The Hustle" came on and I was all ready, and then they turned it off. Boo! And when Jen talks about her Thursday night dancing gig, I get that "heart-hurty" feeling that she was talking about that I can't join her! And I think that Vania also studied dance in school, yes?

5. The high school I went to didn't have a dance club or anything, so I thought it might be a good idea to, get this, try out to be a cheerleader! I, along with some of my friends, were picked, but I couldn't last a long time because I didn't have a lot of school spirit or like football or want to hang out with football players or go to football parties. I would sometimes get in trouble with the coach for not being able to make all the practices if I needed to study or meet after school or something, so I quit. I liked the active part of it, trying to convince myself that learning cheers was like learning dance routines. I still remember some of them, though, and they're fun for a dull evening. "Are...you...ready...to...jam 2 3 4..."

6. I'm essentially very silly and whimsical. I like to skip around. I'm constantly feeling dewy eyed and in love with simple things. I'm in love with love. I'm very nostalgic and songs send me to a special place. My voice is less than stellar but I love to sing around to songs, replacing words with things that are going around. Or replacing things I call Aaron with within the lyrics. I make up jingles for everything. I like to appreciate small things: a cup of herbal tea, a talk with a friend, a kind gesture, fun mail, a book, a cupcake!. When I was talking to my sister and saying how I want to go to Franchia and get a Korean Pear Fantasy, she said "that's just your thing, to like something called Korean Pear Fantasy."

and...
I really don't know what I want to be when I grow up. There are so many things I like and love to do and see and think about. I think I don't want to be one thing, but lots of things, and I want to figure out a way to do it all and be really happy. And time moves so fast.

and...
I turn 30 tomorrow.

and...
you're it!

20 Comments:

Blogger krissy said...

oh no, you beat me to the 6 things! now i really have to get on it. i loved reading your list. it's wonderful to learn so much about everyone this way. and happy early birthday, michelle! as scary as it is to think about, the 30's are pretty awesome!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:09:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Jessica said...

wow, quite a few similarities, two in particular!

1. The Quick Obsessions. I, too, fall prey to this: all-encompassing, almost overwhelming interest in a subject, only to have it die away and be replaced with another interest just as vigorous. Perhaps we like stuff so hard we can't sustain it? I don't know. For me, it's been shrinky-dink creations, sewing (though I often return to that), various TV shows/movies/actors, baking (though I return to that too)...I went through a crazy quilt-making phase that I'd like to return to. Some "phases," sadly, are never to return...

2. The accent/sense of place. Except for me, it's on the other end of the country (Georgia). I've lived my whole life in the same town and many people, both native Southerners and non, have no idea where I'm from. I kept my accent neutral growing up, partly because my dad is a Northerner, and partly because I was ashamed of being Southern, because I somehow thought that meant uneducated, backwoods, etc. I still don't have much of an accent, but I think I often put one on unconsciously when talking to extremely accented Southerners!

xoxo MJ

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:13:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Sweetie, I was wondering where you were, at least I kept seeing you on Wardrobe Remix so I knew you were ok (and what you were wearing lol).

Happy Birthday for tomorrow! I can honestly hand on heart say that my 30's have been so much better so far than my 20's ever were and I'm only 3 years into them! I don't know what I want to do when I grow up either!

My very smart Mother always told me that it's as important to know what you *don't* want to do as it is to know what you *do* want to do, by crossing stuff off your list you're making progress even if it doesn't feel like it. Also, don't forget to enjoy the journey, there's nothing to say you have to pick one single thing you do, you can do one thing for a while and then move onto something else and then try another area, that's the beauty of life!

Eat lots of cake and have a fun day! Big hugs.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:08:00 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Thanks for your six things and sorry for confusing you about my name's pronounciation - isn't funny how well we know each other but don't know how each other's voices sound? Weird! And, yup, i danced from age 3 to 21, and still do periodically - i took ballet mostly. Nobody knows who we will be when we grow up (in my opinion), it's who we are right now that matters.

Happy last day of being 29!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, sorry about that - wrong sign in name. and, i meant to say, i don't think you're all in not knowing what to do with your future self; it takes courage to step back and away from something you're not happy with (i.e. your job).

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i'm tired - i meant: i don't think you're ALONE in not knowing...gees, i must go to bed now. and michael vaughan is a character from Alias, the only show i love and i'm sadder than sad that it's in its final season!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Miss M!!!!

Time flies, doesn't it - we're still talking about what we want to be when we grow up when we are actually already grown up. And yet, who's to say what that means?

Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish people could tell where i'm from by my accent. and i have no idea why i don't have a ny accent, i've always lived here. my parents grew up in philadelphia, and occasionally they'll have a little of that in their speech, but mostly they 'don't sound like anything' as they say. i think i definitely sound 'northern' but if i don't way 'on line' no one has any idea where i'm from. (i'm from the northern suburbs too).

i can pick up an accent really fast, like if i go to the south or canada or whatever, but the ny accent completely eludes me.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:28:00 AM  
Blogger mishka said...

Happy birthday, Michelle!

I loved learning these things - it helped solidify my overall impression of you so far - although the cheerleader thing really threw me off!

I think it's great that you don't have one set goal in mind for your grown-up self since this will leave you open to so many wonderful and different experiences.

Hope you have a memorable day!

Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:02:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

happy 30th birthday!!! the 30s rock - hope yours are wonderful.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Big Apple Knitting said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!! I saw a really yummy looking vegan cake at whole foods yesterday and thought of you. Hope you are having a blast. BTW thanks for the reference about the Garden Guide. I had never heard of it and that is totally something I would LOVE. I know what I am doing with my next Amazon Gift Certificate.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

great list!

i'm like that too, about getting really into things and then dropping them. that's why i'm such a dilettante.

i didn't know you studied dance! and i really can't believe you were a cheerleader! dancing (to popular music, not modern dance or ballet) is my second favorite activity in the world after surfing.

i pick up accents really fast, and my "accent" has a mix of texas, "mrrland" (i.e. maryland), ny (both parents from ny and grew up with a lot of new yorkers in connecticut), and a few words i say weird that i don't know WHERE i got them from. like the word "drawer" - i can't say that word right. also, i don't have a new england accent, but i do use the new england words for things, like saying "grinder" or "tag sale" -- no one from the mid-atlantic has any idea what i'm talking about when i say "tag sale."

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

i just learned so much there! and i can't believe you are going to be 30 tomorrow! (this is not an insult -- i'll be 30 in a month. you just look younger, that's all.) happy birthday! and keep dancing in your apartment. (i love to hustle too.)

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

i came back today to wish you a happy birthday! i hope you have a wonderful day filled with everything and everyone you love...and at least one scrumptious vegan cupcake.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!!! Imagine confetti and hugs and vegan cupcakes coming from me.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:54:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

A big Happy Birthday to you! I hope you're having a super day. I hope you'll report back on your birthday festivities!

Wow, you were a cheerleader?! Totally can't picture that.
I certainly can appreciate a cupcake, herbal tea and a talk with a friend though ;)

And I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either. I think I just want to be creative . . . whatever that may be.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Michelle! I hope it was a great one!!

The cheerleader thing really shocked me too! :-O

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger skomra said...

I couldn't believe she was a cheerleader either (not that I just found out about that though)! I wish the 45 minutes left of your birthday are great ! I hope we spend all those minutes together!

!

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

so how was your birthday? whadja do?

Friday, April 21, 2006 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger The DeDe said...

Happy Birthday (albeit a day late) I hope it was a fantastic day and that you are enjoying being in your 30's so far.

I admire the way you describe yourself, life and the things you enjoy. And, wow, you were a cheerleader. I was one (although all through high school) and it was all about the dancing for me too.

Friday, April 21, 2006 4:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home