michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

April 20 (the Wikipedia meme)

I've always thought birthdays were fun, and sharing the same birthday with a childhood friend was the most fun you could have as a kid. But as I grew up and found out who else shared my birthday through the "Bad News Calendar," well, let's just say that my mom promptly threw that gag gift out.

And then, on my 23rd birthday, the date gained even more notoriety.

I had a friend at work, born the day earlier (though many years earlier I might add!) and a history teacher so he knew what happenend when, and he used to playfully chide me about my birthday. But he knew he was one to talk: his day gained just as much notoriety in 1995. Thankfully, there are more good things than bad things that happened on our birthdays. Same for everyone.

So it was cool to do this birthday meme and find out some other things about the day.

3 events
1657 - Jews of New Amsterdam (later New York City) granted freedom of religion.
1926 - Western Electric and Warner Bros. announce Vitaphone, a process to add sound to film.
1979 - President Jimmy Carter is attacked by a Swamp Rabbit while on vacation in Plains, Georgia.

2 births
1961 - Don Mattingly, baseball player (AA, did you know about this one?)
1964 - Crispin Glover, American actor

1 death
1765 - Abigail Williams, American accuser in the Salem witch trials (b. 1674)

and I would be remiss to leave out that, according to Wikipedia,
April 20 (4/20) is associated with 420 (cannabis culture).

Don't believe Wikipedia? Check out these pictures, taken on my 25th birthday. I had to cancel class cause my students told me that none of them intended on coming. So I went to just outside the library to check out what it was all about. Yep, I was still living in Vermont then.


4 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

yep.. 420!! 4/20 is typically when the hash bash is at university of michigan, too. every year, it's one of the most peaceful demonstrations in the US. probably because everyone's too stoned to move :)

Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

was jimmy carter really attacked by a swamp rabbit? that sounds like an urban legend!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Well, I was way too young to remember something like that, but there's a picture of the incident here and the story here. That said, it's the first I heard about it.

When I checked wikipedia again to get this information, I noticed they put up a notice locking the page to edits due to recent vandalism to that page. Is that common?

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 7:50:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I meant to add: I can guess the type of vandalism that would go on that page, but still, was curious if that was rare or common...

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 7:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home