michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Cherry Blossom Girl


"I don't want to be shy
Can't stand it anymore
I just want to say "Hi"
to the one I love...
Cherry Blossom Girl"*

There's something about cherry blossoms that makes me feel all glowy and happy and romantic and silly all at the same time. That and nice weather and a good picnic and sweet company. I had been looking forward to this for awhile, checking the "cherry watch" on the Brooklyn Botanic Garden website for the best time to see the trees in full bloom. Though we knew (and remembered from previous visits) that it would be crowded, we just gave in and decided the best time to come would be during the annual Sakura Matsuri: Cherry Blossom Festival.


We had a picnic under these trees on the Cherry Walk: gobi aloo, red lentils hyderabadi, corn tortillas, mango, pom juice "sangria," popcorn, and a cookie.



We missed the tofu demonstration, and then couldn't decide between ikebana and origami, so we decided to just look around at all the sights and sounds.

"I am the samurai. I am the one. Fight me."

It was really such a great people watching day, too. People wearing all kinds of great retro, vintage, and handmade clothing. And tons of traditional and untraditional costumes! And people dressing dolls and taking pictures! Here are some of the people we saw:







From the cherry blossoms, we made our way over to the lilacs at the Louisa Clark Spencer Lilac Collection. Incredibly beautiful.



and the Native Flora Garden, where my allergies went into full affect. Ugh.


and the Japanese Hill and Pond Garden

Always one of my favorite places (though now that we've been to the one in Portland, it was impossible to avoid comparisons). We saw tortoise and ducks and fish. You can check out my photo page for more pictures.




*We might never get this song out of our heads now.

9 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

oh fun! darn it, i missed it again! i've lived here for six years now and have missed it every stinkin' year. this time of year is way too busy. looks like you had a great time getting some hanami action!

Monday, May 01, 2006 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh Michelle, these pictures are gorgeous. You look so sweet in your dress. I'm glad you two had a great time. When we went to the festival two years ago, the flowers also induced a massive allergy attack though!

Monday, May 01, 2006 10:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun!!!! Thanks for sharing! (and I second megan, you're adorable)

Monday, May 01, 2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Did i ever tell you i absolutely love cherry blossoms - my cake for July is decorated with them! I also think you look wonderful in that outfit - i like the green polka dots. maybe one day i'll make it to NYC for the festival!

Monday, May 01, 2006 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

cherry blossoms and lilacs in one day? that would be too much wonderfulness for me to handle. those are my favorite kind of cherry blossoms, too, that you are standing in front of.

but you call that crowded? you should see how crowded our cherry blossom festival gets. wall to wall people.

Monday, May 01, 2006 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

It looks like the perfect day for a festival and a picnic. How fun!

Monday, May 01, 2006 2:38:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh, i wish we had gone! we've been the past two years but were two busy in recent weekends.

your outfit is beyond adorable, and your picnic sounds fabulous!

Monday, May 01, 2006 6:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Jessica said...

you=cute!
I love cherry blossoms, too...Robert & I spent part of our honeymoon in Washington, D.C. in early April when they were all starting to bloom. So I have that pleasant connection, but also they're just so dang pretty. I can't get over your dress, too! Again: cute, I say! xoxo MJ

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

everyone has been saying what i was thinking too..."how darn cute is that michelle?"!! the cherry blossom trees look so incredibly beautiful! i'll bet they smell heavenly! i love all of the pictures but especially the "people" ones. those japanese umbrellas everyone seems to have are so pretty.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home