michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

The work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction

Walter Benjamin: The real can only be experienced through its reproduction

David Cronenberg
: The television [computer] screen is the retina of the mind's eye

1) In the absence of a ball winder and swift, and a strong desire to knit with the yarn that Carrie gave me last week, I ask Aaron to help me wind it. Aaron, getting tired of holding up his hands, thought it might be fun to use his head as a swift. It actually worked for a few winds, and then it just got too silly.



When he did this, he was surprised when I took out my camera. But really, how could I not? The knitting blog just might have been invented for moments like this.

2) I was going to rip out the beginning of my "Little Child's Sock" (from Knitting Vintage Socks) because I couldn't see the basketweave pattern on the cuff. But when you take a picture, it's definitely there.


3) Stephanie invited me to meet up with her and her friends, and one of them, when introduced to me said "Are you michelleknits?"

(I really liked them by the way. More on that later.)

14 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

How could he be surprised when you pull out your camera ever?

I'm now going to start calling you Michelle With The Best Dressed Feet.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 6:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link to Stephanie doesn't work... It goes to a login page for Blogger.

How are those socks going? I was thinking of ordering some of that yarn.

You should have a little collection of cute pictures of AA.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 12:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. nice Walter Benjamin quote. My husband is a big fan.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

tee hee! I don't have a swift either.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I didn't believe it when you described the head as swift phenonmenon. That great picture convinced me!
And yes, the basketweave pattern pops out in the picture. That's what I hate about wavy yarns (like Manos Stria).

Great hanging out with you last night!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

thanks again for coming out last night! so great to see you in all of your green and yellow goodness.

i usually use my knees for a swift, so maybe i need to try jon's head!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:25:00 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Hee Hee you're famous!

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:33:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh! and i didn't mean that i'm "famous" (virginia knew i was coming) but that when she met me, she asked me if i was my blog, you know? like if i said "i'm hanging out with crafty vegan, chaifae, sensible shoes, pink vegan, and domestic affair up in toronto" (!) rather than vania, mishka, krissy, carla, and jae. that's a common thing around here, i'm just not used to it (yet) and think it's funny to be called by your representation or handle or alter-ego or whatever.

and then my sock looked better on my blog then in real life, and so it just went from there...

Monday, May 29, 2006 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

and so fun to get to celebrate carrie's birthday with you all!

Monday, May 29, 2006 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you at carrie's soiree. I think I'd seen you mentioned on her blog, but not actually checked out yours. I would have remembered the graffiti and obsession with Babycakes!

Monday, May 29, 2006 2:50:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

that picture of aaron acting as a swift made me laugh out loud. he's such a good sport!

i absolutely love the colour of the yarn too. those are going to be some sweet socks!

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:09:00 PM  
Blogger jae said...

lack of a swift always inspires creativity in me too.
i'm always grateful for my ball winder though.
good on ya with the socks - i always admire sock-knitters' patience.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Yeah "honey" as a term of affection I isn't too cruel. And worse than "Honey From the Tombs" I also bought a CD called "Rabbit Fur Coat." (by Jenny Lewis) Ew, that's really, really non-vegan. The Rabbit Fur Coat song is so sad, but it's not about bunny rabbits being skinned, thank goodness. Honey is everywhere..."Just Like Honey" by Jesus + Mary Chain, for example!

Your bear socks sound cute!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:13:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Have you ever read anything by Paul Virilio? Your quotes reminded me of his book "A Landscape of Events", which I loved.

Anyway, are you making the Little Child's Sock for a child or you? Of course, I think they would be really snazzy socks for you! And a great color too!

I hope to see you soon!

Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home