michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Rainy Days and Wednesdays


"What I've got they used to call the blues..."
(now they just call them neato green vegetables for sale in Jackson Heights)

So you guys must know that Wednesdays don't "always get me down" cause
(1) it's hump day (enough said...or is this joke too old for the fast-paced blog world?)
and
(2) Wednesdays are Botanical Garden days.


Last wednesday, by my namesake roses: popcorn!

The wednesday before that, AA and Stacey on the forest trail (AA's eating the "macaroni hates cheese" that we brought for him)

and on the wetlands trail

But, rainy days, Wednesdays, and the Botanical Garden don't mix, so I met up with my friend Eliza and we went to Jackson Heights instead, home to many peoples and some of the best food in the city.

I forget what the "bowling pin" type Indian squash is called (at left).

We went to Jackson Diner for buffet (including an excellent masala dosa). And here's the booty I picked up at the markets: tum tum spicy chickpea snacks, red (masoor) lentils, millet flour, juwar dhani (like popcorn!), cinnamon sticks, black salt, yellow sesame seeds, 2 types of vadai (lentil donut) mixes, dosa mix, idli mix, and spicy roti!

And between getting to and from Queens, I got a nice bit of my sock done. The neat thing about the sock I'm working on is that it has row counts. It's cool to not have to rely on my (not so accurate) measurements. So I'm at row 109, the point where I'm supposed to start the heel, but my sock measures -- depending on when you measure it -- between 7 1/4 - 7 3/4 inches, when it should measure 9 1/2 inches. And I'd prefer a longer sock, too. So I'm thinking of extending it, but since I'm not positive, I put it on stitch holders and put it back in the bowl.

The bowl, by the way, is the nifty innovation of Stephanie, who took my yarn, put it in a bowl, and changed my knitting life. Really, how come I never thought of that?

p.s. Anyone out there interested in knitpicks? huh huh?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love Jackson Heights! I am jealous of your goodies! Dosas, yum.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 1:14:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Glad to see you made the most of a rainy day. I think I'm missing something . . . why is popcorn your namesake?

I'll go in on the Knitpicks. Unfortunately, there's not much I need right now. But I'd like 2 skeins of Essential in Pine (#23700) & one Shine Worsted in Green Apple (#23802).

Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

cool. we're up to $20.92 (just need $19.08 for free shipping!) any more takers?

oh, and sometimes aa calls me popcorn! i can only remember mentioning it here, in the thick of a song, so you're excused from missing it. hehe.

can you believe i haven't ripped into that fancy popcorn stuff yet? eliza said she puts the black salt on popcorn. can't wait!

Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:36:00 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

hahaha, who knew that putting your yarn in a bowl would change your life? :) when you get a ball winder your yarn will no longer try to escape all over the place.

looks like you've been enjoying the city! wish i could bust out of work and join you.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

So, I'm out here in a small town in the middle of the country with limited vegan options and no indian restaurants (nevermind finding a dosa place), but, it's all okay. I'm working hard and maybe this'll give me some insight on how the non-large city vegans live.

Also, I made idly once using the muffin tin method. When you're ready to make them, call me and I'll explain it to you. Or call me now.

Friday, June 09, 2006 6:34:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

p.s. Miss you!

Friday, June 09, 2006 6:34:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

mmmmm....vadai! when i lived in India, i devoured these! I also love that bowl for knitting; we sometimes use colanders up here!

Friday, June 09, 2006 1:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My exBF is Sri Lankan and we used to make forays into Jackson Heights for groceries, especially when his mom was coming to visit. I can smell the stores now - all those spices!

That tank you've got on is very cute.

I'd love to have a Botanical Garden day. We've gone several times to the one here in the last couple of months but nothing beats more regular visits to learn the plants better. Are you going to both Bklyn and Bx?

Friday, June 09, 2006 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

Hey Michelle, email me about the bamboo yarn, k? What color do you have and how many balls and whayyda wanna trade/whatever? Thanks! =) =)

Saturday, June 10, 2006 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Hi Michelle - great to meet you on Friday! Your food purchases look delicious, I may have to make a journey to Jackson Heights sometime soon for a little shopping.

Sunday, June 11, 2006 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger busy hands said...

what a fabulous photojournal of your day!

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home