michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Monday, June 05, 2006

I'm crafty, I'm just your type


On Friday, I met up with Carrie and picked up these six fabrics at Purl Patchwork. It's hard not to fall in love every time you go into this store. Small and special.

It reminds me of the new fabric store in Buffalo on Elmwood, if you live there instead.

Anyway, since I only got a 1/4 yd. of each fabric, the price was reasonable, too. And I had good ideas for the fabric...

It turned out to be a super crafty weekend. Friday evening I knit with all kinds of lovely folks and then took the wrong subway and walked home in the rain.

Saturday was all kinds of rainy again, and Rainy Saturdays means one of two things. I chose the second and got started on a patchwork pillow!

I was really disciplined about this project. I usually just like to cut and sew and see what happens, but this time I drew all kinds of schematics, did all kinds of proper measurements, and did all kinds of labeling and moving around of fabric and experimenting. Here are the cut out pieces.

And here are the Banana Split Pudding Brownies from Vegan with a Vengeance that I snacked on before I started sewing the pieces together. Oh my. Make it now.


And here's the pillow, finished right before we left for Stacey's party in the big NJ!

I'm ready for my close-up (click me)

The backing is fabric I bought this past thanksgiving in Buffalo.

I hadn't been on the NJ transit train in years. Yep, quite the adventure. And I discovered almost immediately that I had messed up the pattern on my sock. Nothing big, but nothing I wanted to figure out then. So no knitting on the train to and from NJ. Bah!

On Sunday I woke up way earlier than Aaron and got working on the second project -- a patchwork bag. I wanted to use the same fabrics from yesterday, and I had plenty leftover. I took the schematic for one of the squares from the pillow and used it for the bag. I like its long and skinny shape.


This ones going out in the mail today.

Both projects are kinda rough around the edges and could use more careful finishing, but I'm awful proud of them besides. And even though patchwork is slow work, I got a lot of pleasure out of simple things like ironing down my seam allowances and fitting the pieces together just so.

After I finished the bag, we went out for a great tree walk around Inwood Hill Park. I just really love this New York City Trees book to pieces.

Ton of Tuliptrees, neat Osage Orange trees, Cottonwoods, Royal Pawlonia, Sweetgum, etc. Here's AA with a large cottonwood tree and me wearing a special tuliptree hair barrette.




I have more sewing plans for this week and more trips to purl patchwork to look forward to. Another bag, a crafty kit, a skirt...

And perhaps later I'll update you on all kinds of things that happened last week.

*It took me a while to notice that the "crafty" in "She's Crafty" is not the kind of crafty that I liked to think it meant. Maybe I should pay attention to lyrics sometimes. So maybe I'm not the Beasties type, but perhaps I'm _your_ type? (wink)

13 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

you tree hugger! :)

sounds like a crafty weekend.. much like mine. now if i could only find time to post about it!

Monday, June 05, 2006 10:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love that patchowrk pillow! I'm sure its recipient will be thrilled with it.
And mmm, brownies....

Monday, June 05, 2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

what great fabric finds, Michelle! Your pillow looks great, and the bag is FABULOUS! I don't think I knew that you were so good with sewing. Sounds like you had a fun and productive weekend.

Monday, June 05, 2006 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey Michelle, I was planning on e-mailing you, but this is the only way I have to contact you! E-mail me you address and I'll have you prize on its way in no time! Yay!

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Ok, I just realized you need my e-mail: rebecca@needleworksinc.com

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:48:00 PM  
Blogger vania said...

wow, you were busy too! i love that bag and the pillow; and that banana split thingamagig sounds divine! i have to find that book!

Monday, June 05, 2006 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

so much to comment on!
1) i just saw "vegan with a vengence" at the bookstore today. is it a book you use often? i think i might see if i can borrow it from the library before i decide to buy it.

2) i had no idea you were such a good sewer either! patchwork is totally intimidating. math doesn't get along with me too well. i *love* that pillow and bag...the fabric is incredible! people might think i'm odd but i love the red/pink/orange combo. at least i know you don't think i'm a weirdo cuz you must like it too.

3) i love that you and aaron go out and explore the trees you find in that book. i think i've seen a tulip tree once but it wasn't "in bloom". your barrette is darling! hee hee

4) a friend commented on your amazing style today at lunch! you have fans you probably don't even know about!

5) you're_so_my_type! hee hee!

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

your pillow looks SMASHING! see, your careful decisionmaking paid off. i'm the same way with sewing -- not super careful. But I also end up rushing and don't really know what i'm doing. what did your friend think of it?

i love the tree pictures. and perhaps you're both crafty *and* crafty!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'll echo everyone else's compliments on your bag - super colors! I also love mixing reds and oranges . . . and pink too! You definitely have a knack for that, which is evident from your wardrobe remix photos! Can't wait to hear more!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:40:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

hey thanks for liking my sewing! it was really fun!! and yeah, the brownies are intensely good, and if you have access to the book, make them and see for yourself!

krissy, i don't use vwav a ton, but i have made enough to say that everything in there is really good. and you, of course, are totally my type, too!! and who's your secret friend?! i gotta know!

carrie, i think she really liked it. she went around and showed it to everyone! (i was really proud) and i sure hope i'm not the _other_ kind of crafty! i think the girl in "she's crafty" ends up stealing their money in the end? gonna look it up in a bit...

and i only recently learned that some people think red and pink and orange look strange together. what's that about? it's the best combination ever! that and pinks and limes and my new thing, blues and greens, which i think is what i'm going to work on next.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

the beasties type IS my type.

i love the bag and the pillow - amazing work!

sounds like a great tree walk. i'm not loving my tree book. i guess that's why it was on clearance. i want to find a better one.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:19:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

i love pinks and oranges and reds together too, as well as pink and green.

but of course, pink looks good with everything.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Anyhow, I've had internet issues and time to play on line has been limited, so I'm just posting now.

Everything looks awesome & I love that color scheme. I'm going to miss going to Purl & PP w/you. And, if I was still home, we could sew together (my machine's a featherweight, portable at only 17 lbs).
And the brownies look mad gooey chewy. I brought VWAV w/me, so maybe I can make those one day after I move from a hotel to an apartment.

Friday, June 09, 2006 6:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home