michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My first month in Portland in Pictures

So I haven't posted for a bit cause the prospect seemed overwhelming, and it was. Is. And I haven't been keeping up with emails and telephone calls* like I'd like to, either, so I hope this post serves as a way for people to know what I've been up to. This is going to be picture heavy and writing light so that we can put the month of August behind us (I imagine most of us have!) and then I'll start thinking about telling you what I have been up to in September!

The month of August was hot during the day, but really nice and cool at night. No rain!

Still keeping it real on the west coast in my bonnet. I'm definitely "bonnet girl" around here.

Ok, be prepared for a lot of pictures . . . Really A LOT!

Our second day in town, we bought a bed. Our first adult bed! It's so lovely, I could stay there all morning. But we've got a coffeeshop nearby that we love to go to.

Here's AA at Fuel, the nearest one at a block from our house. After we took this picture, we became friends with the guy in the foreground (Chris). Portland is like that.

at Fuel with my favorite drink (rooibos chai with soymilk)

Right by our house is the food coop.

Between the coop and the farmer's markets, we've always got fresh food at the ready.

And the produce from Oregon is incred-i-ble!


Even the bread you can get at the coop and at the farmer's market is some of the best I've ever had. Here's Dave, of Dave's Killer Bread, at the Farmer's Market. He's super nice, too.

Other people that are nice are some new friends. I think I'm more shy with my camera around here than in NY (maybe cause everyone's a blogger around there?!) but I did manage to take some pictures of some of the sweet people I've had the pleasure to hang with. Somehow I didn't get around to snapping pictures of Sarah, or Kat, or Joanna, or Jess in the month of August but I assure you I have hung out with them all! (I'm still hoping to meet up with other folks from the internet soon! I'm looking at YOU Portland bloggers!)

with Vanessa and Chris, making vegan smores in their backyard

their super kid, Enoch

and friend, John, at Handmade Bazaar

picking out plants with Alicia. Here's her string of pearls plant. We bought it at Buffalo Gardens where the owner Sandra tends to urban chickens as well as plants.

Did you know that Portland has the largest urban chicken population? I forget where I read that.

Anyway, speaking of plants, this is the first time that Aaron and I have had the space to devote to outdoor plants, and we've been loving it. Here's our basil plant.

Ready for pesto!

And little lettuce and chard starts I bought with Alicia grew quickly into bold, vigorous plants.


You should see them now. They're huge and ready to eat! I'm hoping to have a salad party soon cause there's six whole heads of lettuce!

Being here has really affected my cooking. The availability of such great produce plus getting to see small plants grow into big plants ready for eating has really fueled my desire to eat better. I've been loving the challenge of making what we get from the farmer's market work into a good meal.

Here's the greatest corn on the cob I ever had, with steamed swiss chard, sauteed summer squash, peppers, and locally foraged lobster mushroom, with fresh tofu, tomato, and basil sandwiches.

While Portland has been heavy on the fresh and healthy food, this city also has two of our favorite junk foods of all time: pizza and donuts!

at Kalga Cafe

at Bella Faccia

at Star E Rose

outside New Seasons Market

and at home!

While we've been getting around mostly by foot, public transportation here is pretty good.

the bus

the max

Unlike NYC, lots of people have cars here. There are tons of painted cars, old cars, and other art cars. I started taking pictures at first, but there are so many of them it becomes hard to go anywhere without taking pictures of cars! Here are some of them:



super prevalent are all the bugs all around Portland

but busses are even more common in my neighborhood



The first few weeks I lived here, I kept getting "Magic Bus" stuck in my head! It's kinda like everyone just came here from somewhere or they're just about to leave. This purple bus was on its way to Burning Man.

At first this kind of car completely surprised me, but now we see cars like this all the time. At one of the craft fairs I saw a bumper sticker that read: "Hybrids are Sexy, Biodiesels are Sexier!"

There's tons of craft fairs here. There's the one that happens every Saturday under the Burnside Bridge, but then there's all the smaller ones:

Crafty Wonderland at the Doug Fir once a month
and Handmade Bazaar. I saw lots of great things and met lots of neat people at those. Then there's the monthly art and craft happening that happens in my neighborhood every last thursday. People from all over flood the neighborhood.


I just watched this time, but at last week's street fair, I joined in!

In addition to all the craft fairs, there are all these other great stores:

Scrap: The School and Community Re-use Action Project

and Powells Used Books!

But since we don't have much money right now, we spend a lot of our free time hanging in the parks.

Alberta Park

Holladay Park

Waterfront Park

Wilshire Park

Park Blocks

Irving Park

and walking around the neighborhood. There's lots of painting and murals around here.




We've even got a clown house!



What's been nicest of all is how our little rented ranch house is slowly turning into a home for us.

and that's been really sweet.

I hope you come visit soon! We miss you!


*NYC types: I still have my "917" cell phone so a call to me is still like a local call!

29 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

You're fitting right in, just as I suspected. Have fun!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I thought I was going to be the first to comment!

Given that we're entertaining the thought of moving up there our own selves, it's great to see photos of what it's like to live there. What a nice little photo essay!

But please don't post any more photos of donuts or my heart will break!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

mmmm, vegan donuts AND marshmellows! my hubby was just saying the other day how he hasn't had a donut in over ten years! i really must get him some of the vegan variety :)

looks like you're having a great time in your new home and city! i loved looking at all of your pictures.. especially that basil! wow! that looks yummy.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Now I need to go eat a donut. But that produce also looks seriously fabulous, I can see why you'd be motivated to eat and cook lots of wonderful foods. I'm afraid the farmer's market here has only a few weeks left till turnip time.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh, so so blissful - it looks like you're loving it. i won't pretend not to be jealous, and instead treat your photos and experiences as inspiration ;)

the produce looks amazing!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

YAY ! I've missed your posts like mad. Really! Your new home looks and sounds fabulous.

Oh... and... I WILL COME VISIT SOON!!!! Ahem, in less than 2 weeks, that is!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, your photos make Portland look so wonderful! I've never been, but now I totally want to visit. I'm SO glad that you're loving it there--it looks like paradise for happy vegans! :)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

yay! so glad you're loving your new home! portland looks absolutely perfect for you both. that picture post was fun!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

What a wonderful post! Glad you're liking Portland so much. There's a lot to like :-)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

What a super post! You guys look so content there, and so many great things to do, see and eat! I'm very jealous of your flourishing plants - we're attempting to grow basil, but it's just not cooperating very much (I have a notoriously bad effect on plants). But thank goodness there are a million farmers' markets around here with amazing organic produce. I noticed your hubbard squash - that's my favorite!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea Portland is so artsy fartsy. It looks gorgeous, and I'm so happy you are enjoying it! Do you have a favorite knit hang yet?

yay fresh available veggies and kick ass bread!!!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

thanks for all the pictures. it's nice to get a glimpse into your life again -- great food, interesting people, fun activities. but what's a clown house? sounds spooky.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:15:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

I was getting worried about you! Glad to know you're doing well (or better than well).

Hey, I think I saw that purple bus at Burning Man. =)

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Great to see all those pictures. Looks like you are having a fantabulous time!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger Jessamyn said...

It looks like you're taking advantage of all the greatness Portland has to offer. Congratulations!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

did you know you have 77 bloglines subscribers?!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

great post and mini-tour of life in portland. glad to hear you are settling in so nicely.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

oh i'm so glad to hear from you! I guess i mean see cuz i sure saw a lot! LOL. You definitely have settled in nicely - great stores, markets, friends, food, cafes, you name it, you've found it!

Yea to have you back in full swing.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:11:00 PM  
Blogger city girl said...

glad to see you're having such a terrific time! miss ya lots!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger dlittlegarden said...

Michelle, I've lurked on your blog a bit, but just had to comment this time. It's so great to see your pictures of my home town! I moved to NYC from Seattle two months ago, but my family still lives in Portland. I'm glad you love it there.

I miss the produce....

Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:46:00 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

I just got to play PDX Tour Guide to my brother but I could have just showed him this post!

I'm glad you're having a good time in Portland! I've been meaning to eat at Kalga Cafe forever but just haven't gotten there yet. How was it?

Are you going to the flock and fiber festival? I'll be there on Sunday!

Saturday, September 23, 2006 1:25:00 AM  
Blogger jae said...

great post. fun pictures. i certainly loved my short visit in oregon four years ago. it's funny you should mention fun cars - i was walking up st. laurent the other day and saw a car that was completely covered in astroturf! it was beautifully done.
enjoy all that food!
if i had unlimited air miles i'd certainly want to come visit.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 7:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like you guys are fitting right in! it looks like such a cool nice place-
yay!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:48:00 PM  
Blogger MUDNYC said...

I love the pics, what a great post! Thanks for sharing, it really paints a nice happy picture of your life.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

<3 love it all!


-jess (can't sign in with new blogger)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle, when you get a chance, can you drop me an e-mail? I have some questions about Portland as we are doing serious research about moving there in the next 6 months.

Thanks!
E

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Hey, btw, do you know the blog http://soulemama.typepad.com I think she lives in Portland too and just talked about a cool craft store on a recent post!

Thursday, September 28, 2006 6:45:00 PM  
Blogger busy hands said...

all those pictures are so lovely!! the food, the people, the surroundings!!w

Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to vania:
soul mama is in portland maine :)

Sunday, October 08, 2006 4:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home