michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

"Big News" (or What Comes is Better than What Came Before...)*

So two posts back I said I had news. Big News. And then I got emails asking if I was engaged. Yep, even after writing a whole post about weddings, I forgot what "big news" means (!) Well, of course it can mean many things, but "big news," right or wrong, has often come to mean two big things. So if I'm not engaged, what else is BIG?

Well, a few months ago there was this one week that began with me thinking about babies non stop, and I had a very very very strong desire to knit a baby sweater. What was this about? Why such strong baby thoughts?

That Friday, I got a call from my sister. She's the one who's pregnant!

So that's some big news that I've been sitting on for awhile and wondering when the right time to share it was. She's three months pregnant now, so it's ok to share! I'm gonna be an aunt. Aunt Michelle, people!

I've already made her an umbilical cord hat in white blue sky organic cotton and the baby yoda sweater in green mission falls cotton (though I haven't seamed it up).

But I have more big news of my own . . . we're moving to PORTLAND!

(view from the Japanese Garden, July 2005)

Yep, moving out of the big city is big news around here. We've been talking about this back and forth for awhile (and there had become this joke among my friends: "It's either Brooklyn or Portland!"), but in very Michelle and Aaron fashion, we took a long time to make a decision, and when we did, the results were quick.

Our lease here is ending soon, and we signed a lease a week ago for a new place, and we're heading out there at the end of the month! I've had it in my noggin that I wanted to move out there for-ev-er, before I had even seen the place! And last year, exactly a year ago (well a year ago yesterday), we flew out there for a three week vacation in the Pacific Northwest, staying in Portland and Seattle and camping along the Oregon Coast, the Dunes, Crater Lake, Newbury Volcanic Monument, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Rainier. It was wonderful.

And it took a while, but Aaron came around to the idea of moving there, too, so much so that he's really enthusiastic and ready to leave right away.

So we're leaving. And I'm of course so excited but I'm sad, too. Sad to leave all the things I like. Sad to leave my friends, old and new. And how bummed was I, my first friday as an honest to goodness spider (I had been "spiderly" for a month or two and then away for a few weeks after), to have to announce that I was leaving! Aw!

And I'll miss so many others. Friends who don't read this, local Tuesday snb knitters and Sit 'n Knitters, and friends who read this and don't comment! I know you're out there!

But I've got about two weeks and there's lots of things I want to do and lots of fun to be had. And yeah, this sorting through my old college and teaching papers is not the kind of fun I had in mind! I've got plans with Sandra for dinner and a movie tonight, and I'm holding onto that like a life raft as I tread through these papers!

*"I've had the song "I Found A Reason" (a Velvet Underground cover) in my head since the wedding. The song I played over and over during the rehearsal. It's the song that squeezed a few notes out. You can listen to it here. That line "what comes is better than what came before" really touched me. We're very hopeful that we'll find what we're looking for there. Aaron has taken to say that we're going back to "In Utero." He came up with this after having several drinks, but I still think it's smart. I knew what he meant then without asking, but to put it into words, I guess it would mean: back to the beginning (or before we became burnt out nyc teachers), back to our beginning (Nirvana!), and back to where "In Utero" was made -- the Pacific Northwest! I already feel all fresh and new.

30 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

yeah, you just became a spider and now you're taking off for portland! but luckily we have another spider out there who i'm sure you can hang with.

we'll miss you! this is going to be great for you and aaron.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 3:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new auntly title!!! Thats so exciting!

And wow! Portland! Very cool. And so fast! Only two weeks! It sounds like a great decision, and I can't wait to see pics of your new place! :D

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 3:53:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I am so excited for you and Aaron!! I think Portland is definitely a good fit for you two. I'll miss you dearly, but at least I'm leaving too! Oh, thank goodness for blogs to bridge the distance!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting! I'm looking forward to reading all about your exploits. I've had Portland on my mind as well.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Everyone I know seems to be moving to Portland! My brother-in-law is moving there in the fall sometime so we will be visiting him and about a thousand other people sometime in the late spring or early summer. I would love to get together since I never made it up to NY. Are you driving across the country or are you flying? I am so excited for you. Good luck!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm both happy and sad to hear you leaving! just as we were all becoming good buddies. but i am happy for you and Aaron. nothing but the best for the both of you out there.

and yay, you're going to be an Aunt! Congrats to you and your sister. :

See you tonight.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

Aw - Auntie Michelle! You got me with that baby paragraph. Really. My heart jumped. Portland sounds like the perfect place for you and Aaron to move to (or BC...!). I hope your packing and sorting and moving goes as smoothly as possible.

Now, go toss something in a garbage bag so you don't have to move it!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

yay! i'm glad it's finally happening for you! i can't wait to come visit.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:42:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay, congratulations, I hope the move goes well!

Hopefully we'll see you there soon! :o)

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:26:00 PM  
Blogger city girl said...

wow! lots of excitement for you! congrats on becoming an auntie and i can't wait to see what's going on in portland thru your blog.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 9:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the sound of Auntie Michelle.

It's funny because I was looking forward to getting to meet you (hopefully!) if we ever make it back out to NYC again, but now that you are moving, it will be much easier since we've gone to Portland twice in the past year and a half. We have also talked about moving there. And remember that Anna (finally waking up) is moving there, too!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

you really got me with the whole baby thing too! congratulations to your sister and to you! you're going to be an auntie! that's wonderful news!

as for portland, i'm really happy this is coming true for you both. new beginnings are good.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

so great to hear about your sister! i'm so sorry, selfishly, that you are leaving, but i think it's exciting and refreshing to go somewhere new. there's part of me that's really jealous of your fresh start!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:54:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

PDX is where some of the coolest crafting vegans are, you'll be great there!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

How exciting! I remember you saying you wanted to move to Portland so congratulations! It is beautiful out there. We will miss you at Sit n' Knit!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on impending aunt-hood! And best wishes on the move to Portland - you'll love it out there, I'm sure. You and Sarah will have be our little west-coast outpost of the Spiders!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger MUDNYC said...

Congrats on the auntie and the Portland thing! Being auntie Michelle is cool, I have first-hand experience, ha! Good luck in your fresh start!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

Yes, a big congrats to you - becoming an aunt and such a big move. i can't wait to hear and see all what comes with it. i love making presents for babies and new moms!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna miss you homegirl, even if we haven't known each other that long, you are totally rad.

Your pregnant EPS is freaky. I LOVE the yoda sweater, a gf of mine if pregnant too, and I'm on sweater duty.

SO I bet you have a million people to hang out with and see before you leave, are you going to have a party?

Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:00:00 PM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Yay! Congrats to your sis on the baby making and congrats to you and Aaron on the upcoming move! That is sooo exciting, it is always such an adventure to move!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

Yea for aunts! I'm making the Baby Yoda sweater too, due to my impending aunthood.

I think you'll like Portland a lot. Hero's family is in Eugene (where the bad air is) and we went up to visit... you'll be amazed by how many vegan things are _made_ in Eugene. The best tempeh in the world is made there. Happy travels! And maybe we can meet up next time I'm visiting the "in-laws"!!! =D

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

This is really embarrasing - but when I read this on my blackberry this morning and it stalled in the beginning of the baby thing, I was all sorts of confused and trying to remember if you had beer at my birthday party. Regardless, I'm very excited for your sister and I'm sure you're going to be an excellent aunt and an excellent Portlander.

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

I'm so happy to hear your great news - both big things that you must be completely excited about. I'm glad that I got to meet you before you left, and if I can get the energy up after work on a Friday, maybe I will get to see you at the Point before you go on your new adventure.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger jae said...

wow! everyone's moving!
you, me, megan... that's everyone enough for me.
portland - how exciting! my visit there was really short, but oregon in general i'm really into. there's a couple great intentional communities out there that i really enjoyed visiting - lemme know if you want me to pass on more info.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:30:00 PM  
Blogger Ruby Banshee said...

Hi Michelle. I just came to your blog for the first time, through Fig and Plum. Congrats on moving to Portland! I just moved to PDX in June, and I love it, of course. Let me know if there's any way I can help. When are you coming?
(My blog is pretty poor right now...broken camera=boring to blog)
Mandy

Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:59:00 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

I'm sure you'll love it here in Portland! It's one of the knit-friendliest cities around (in my opinion) and you can't beat all the natural beauty! I hope your move is as stress-free as possible.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Congrats - I am a PDX person and fellow knitter who stumbled on your site. Portland is very knitting friendly, and lots of great LYSs. See you out here!

Sunday, July 30, 2006 4:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just graduated from Reed, in Portland, and, while I'm about to begin some serious adventuring, I already desperately miss that city. So quiet, gentle, warm, grey, green, alive. Mabel's. Berbati's. Amazing, inexpensive sushi!
I just had to post because I've been listening to that same song nonstop as I get ready to leave the country. So, from a sympathetic soul, I have a very good feeling that you will find what you're looking for.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for More Knitters here in Portland!

Welcome and enjoy.

Monday, July 31, 2006 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

hellooo michelle -

I'd be delighted to meet for dinner or whatnot next week, if you like - email me so we can work things out - I don't see your email listed here.

<3 jess
jessica@transfer.com

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home