michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers

It was hard not to think about Les Blank again while I was pondering ways to prepare raw garlic so that I could eat as much as possible. One of my other favorite documentaries of his is Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers. He traces the usage and history of garlic, garlic festivals, the symbolism of garlic, garlic in cooking, etc. etc. Now I love garlic a ton, and I always add way more extra than a recipe says, plus I sneak some into things whenever I can. But really, I realized all of that was just garlic posturing until now. Friends, I ate a full bulb of raw garlic in less than 24 hours. How? Cause I served myself several helpings of this:

Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers Hummus
one head of garlic, peeled
can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tbs tahini
1/2 tbs olive oil
squeeze as much fresh lemon juice as you like
lots of cumin
sprinkle salt to taste
(process everything in a food processor until smooth, adjusting seasonings to your liking)

This is as basic as basic hummus goes, with the addition of way more garlic. Taste wise, it's fan-tastic! But the after bite of the spicy garlic really gets to your tongue after awhile. Because of this, I'm not exactly recommending it. But if you want to get a lot of garlic down, this is a good way.

That said, I really thought the smell had dissipated by the time I left my house to go to knit night. When I came home, THAT's when Aaron remembered to tell me that indeed, I do stink. Sorry knit friends!

(Did you know that garlic is also called "the stinking rose")

I have a lot of confidence that the garlic is going to work, and I'm giving it a few days till I make my conclusions. I am, however, in good spirits, after eating chili with neighbors, drinking a glass of cheap TJ's wine, and watching a movie while knitting on a new project!

Not really worth showing pictures of yet, but it's Wavy from Knitty. It's a really simple, snazzy pattern, methinks. I remember saying something silly yesterday about how it wasn't "driving me wild." But today, I'm feeling it. Completely.

And Jen (and whoever else is interested!) Aaron picked a movie for us to watch that was directed by Herzog AND starring Daddy Sutherland! It was called Scream of Stone, and in the movie, Donald Sutherland plays a reporter covering mountain climbers and their quest to climb a dangerous mountain (Cerro Torre) in Patagonia. It was a strange one. A lot of the dialogue, Aaron noted, was pedestrian and awkward. Also, it was almost an anti-Fitzcarraldo or anti-Herzog movie in that one of the main characters rather than rushing toward the mountain in a fervor, hid in fear and shame of it. Not one of his best films, but certainly entertaining. I'm starting to think I can be entertained by anything, no matter how much I like it or not.

I'll show you pictures of Wavy soon.

6 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

i have a coworker who swears that garlic cures just about anything. i think that you'll be as right as rain in no time :) and you'll have no problem repelling vampires!

Friday, October 20, 2006 8:18:00 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

I love garlic...I hope that it helps you feel better.

I knit Wavy a while back, it was a lot of fun to knit. I might knit another one for me since I gave that one to my cousin.

Friday, October 20, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

oh man, i'm ALL ABOUT the garlic! love it!! just like you, i always put way more than recipes call for. and if it makes you feel any better, i never think people "stink" of garlic...i always think it smells yummy on people. i guess that's a bit weird?

Friday, October 20, 2006 7:28:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

Hey Michelle. Sorry about the lack of invite, I thought I send one! It got muddled b/c Swap-bot doesn't always put the most recent joiners at the bottom of the list. I was hunting around a lot.

Anywho, let me know if it doesn't work for some reason.

=)

Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was about to make a Wavy for myself! What yarn argh you using?

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:19:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

ooh, sounds like a good movie, because i'm also obsessed with mountain climbers. i'll have to check that out.

i saw "north country" with my bub woody harrelson and i finally finished "renegades," but other than that i haven't been watching movies much. i managed to get sucked back into nascar, and thus my movie watching is suffering.

glad you had such a nice weekend!

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home