More Shoes, More Boots, More Garlic
Anyone who has spent long enough time with me knows my love of movies. And when I find directors I like, I want to see everything that they've ever done. Among these directors is the inimitable German director, Werner Herzog.
Last night we watched Incident at Loch Ness. It's not a Herzog film per se (it's directed by Zak Penn), but it's a mockumentary of the making of a Herzog film. If you've seen enough of his other films to know what he's about, then you should see it, but if you haven't, then stay away until you've seen more of his other films. I only appreciated this one because I had seen Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre, The Wrath of God, My Best Fiend, and other films referenced thoughout. When you watch it, you feel like you're in on the joke, too. But if you didn't know Herzog, I'd imagine it wouldn't work.
For Halloween, I'm thinking of screening his remake of Murnau's Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht. The wild and fascinating actor Klaus Kinski is such an enigmatic Count Dracula, I think. Not enough people have seen this one, and I love it. Perhaps I will show a few other, older "scary" films that day.
But a really short and totally fun one you might see is the Les Blank (also one of my favorite directors) documentary, Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe. The story: his friend, Errol Morris (also great!), wants to make a film about how people mourn their pets, and Herzog, in true hyberbolic style tells him, "If you complete that movie, then I'll eat my shoe!" Morris completes the movie (see it!) and at the Berkeley screening of Gates of Heaven, Herzog eats his shoe, cooked in stock with hot sauce and lots of garlic. Herzog takes this opportunity to try to empower other directors out there to "not be cowards," to "just do it," just make that movie and just stand up for what you want to do. He insists that he does this not to draw attention to himself, but to Morris, whose film was complete but in need of distribution.
Locals, I have it on tape. Bought from Les Blank himself when he aired his Herzog documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo, Burden of Dreams, at Two Boots a few years ago. It's of my favorite movies of all time, and arguably, a better movie than Fitzcarraldo itself. But again, it's a more interesting movie if you've watched Fitzcarraldo first. Les Blank gave me a keychain that night. I broke it, though.
A man eating his shoe (for real, not like Charlie Chaplin eating his licorice shoe in The Gold Rush) might sound completely crazy to you, and it's crazy to me (also not vegan -- he says "All of you can have the same experience every day when you eat a Kentucky Fried Chicken") . But I find him and his films completely fascinating. He's always been a director who did exactly what he wanted to do, no matter how outlandish or difficult it was. More people should make movies, more people should "eat their shoes" (i.e. stick to their word and do what they want to do). The last line of the movie, "More Shoes! More Boots! More Garlic!" always makes me laugh out loud. Actually, almost everything he says in that movie makes me laugh.
So while he doesn't expect everyone to take the first two literally (though that's what he did), I have found "more garlic!" a motto to live by! So I told you folks I was sick, yes? And I know I've said this before (though probably not on the blog) that when other people are sick, I always can rattle off a list of things they might try. But when I get sick, my brain turns to mush and I do silly things. One of the things I did yesterday: eat about 1 1/2 heads of roasted garlic! No need to worry about Count Dracula!
But what I had completely (temporarily) washed out of my mind is that it is raw, not roasted, garlic that has anti-microbial properties good for sickness. (Thanks for reminding me, Kathy!) I felt a unique fire in my chest all night. Is that what heartburn feels like?
Today I swich to raw, but the way I think I'm going to work it is that I will make a very garlicky hummus that only I eat, to make it go down nicer. I've been drinking sliced ginger in a tea. Should I be eating ginger raw as well?
---
ps1: All this talk of film directors reminds me that I should be on the look out for Todd Haynes! He lives in my neighborhood! I hope I recognize him!
ps2: Another quote from Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe: "I'm quite convinced that cooking is the only alternative to film making. Maybe there's another alternative, that's walking on foot."
ps3: I started a new hat!






12 Comments:
If you were interested enough to come here to make a comment, then I'll tell you that if you do a google search on “Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe” you’ll find a copy of it on YouTube. If you watch it, let me know.
i tried to watch the loch ness movie and had to turn it off. i guess i didn't get it because i've never seen a herzog film. or a les blank film. or a todd haynes film. i have heard that les blank documentary on fitzcarraldo was good.
you'd like my local video store -- they organize the movies by director, not by genre.
since you are a days of heaven fan, you might be suitably impressed that my friend graham (of "a scanner darkly" fame) is going to be scoring a documentary by terrence malick.
yay movies, i love movies!!
oh my god Jen! I forgot to tell you that when I was at trivia night last week, the category was movies, and this time Shannon (the trivatress) was going to name 5 movies and then we'd have to guess the actor who was in them. Thinking about your Kief-a-thon, I had a premonition that the answer would be Kiefer Sutherland. And THEN, wouldn't you know it! I'm not sure if everyone with me believed it, but no matter. Totally a Kiefer premonition cause of you!
and YES! i'm totally impressed by your friend Graham! I didn't see Malick's last movie about Pocahontas (sort of cause I didn't like the one before that -- The Thin Red Line. Though I _did_ like the Errol Morris film, The Thin BLUE Line!!!), but I do want to get to see it eventually and definitely now the next one!
p.s. There were parts of Loch Ness that annoyed me enough to want to turn it off, too. But I'm a completest with these kinds of things, and in the end, it was worth it.
double p.s. yeah, i love when videostores are organized that way, though i know a lot of people don't.
Ooo, I've seen Nosferato. But only cause I was a film major in undergrad. Good times!
You know, tahnineh sauce takes a good amount of raw garlic, so you could make some of that up if it sounds more palatable - good excuse for falafel! Ginger works cooked or uncooked, so you're good to go.
Now eating a shoe...there's not enough garlic out there to make that sound good :-P
i have no new insight and don't get to movies
feel better, though
you know what is the BEST? peel and dice up about a 1-inch piece of ginger, throw it in your tea kettle with 1 mug of water, bring to a boil, and let simmer for 3-5 minutes. It will be really ginger-y but so soothing especially when you're not feeling tip top. And now I have some movies to check out - thanks! I really like Errol Morris - both the Fog of War and the Thin Blue line. I was originally drawn to those films because Philip Glass composed the score (excellent, esp. Fog of War). Recently we've been really into French films. Up next is the City of Lost Children - have you ever seen Delicatessen, also by Jeunet. That movie has the best sounds! Anyway, feel better!
Try using Cold-FX, it works wonders!
(It works for colds but not for the flu). I use it all the time when I feel I'm coming down with something...I follow the dosage directions and that tickle in my throat goes away. I'm not kidding!
It's pure concentrated "Panax" North American ginseng powder in capsules. Might only be available in Canada, Eh? Cuz it's a Canadian product. Maybe a Canadian blogger friend can mail you some for next time. Hope you feel better soon ;)
p.s. Actually, I was told it does work for the flu too! Bonus!
that's so weird about the kiefer-athon. i'm still working my way through his oeuvre. right now i'm watching "renegades" with kief, lou diamond philips, and the native american guy from the x-files. it's really bad. the only thing that is getting me through it is kiefer's sexy mustache. this is a real labor of love. i wonder if anyone else has seen all of kiefer's crappy movies.
speaking of kiefer, when my friend graham was visiting, we were joking about how he can be connected to anyone in hollywood in just a couple of steps. my first thought was "how many degrees is he from kiefer?" i figured it out instantly: graham did "scanner" with woody harrelson, who was in "the cowboy way" with kiefer. and i worked many high school plays with graham. so i'm just three degrees of separation from kiefer!
oh, and i am becoming a donald sutherland fan as well. i recently saw "ordinary people" - loved him in that, and the resemblance between him and kief is amazing. good call on recommending i check out some daddy sutherland.
it's fun to talk about movies. let's do it more often.
Oh, so glad you're liking daddy sutherland, Jen! Have I told you that he's mighty hot in Don't Look Now? I probably have. But really, he's great in it. Plus, it has Julie Christie! I'm having trouble thinking of other movies with him that I like right now.
"Labor of Love" -- I get _exactly_ what you're saying here. I love talking about movies with you, too!
thanks everyone for the sicky advice! And Megan, I've seen both City of Lost Children and Delicatessen and loved them both!
And Ellie, a film undergrad? Jealous! Our intro courses were really hard to get into unless you entered school knowing you were going to be a Media Studies major (I thought I was going for social work when I applied). So I took the English courses cross-listed with Media Studies when I could!
I've only seen Grizzly Man, but I've seen it a few times and could feel Herzog in it.
btw: 30 something swap was for crafters whose ages start with 3
taa!
Post a Comment
<< Home