The Interpretation of Dreams
I used to have really intense word dreams, dreams where I would write the best poems or just see big letters making shapes and new words I had never heard. I miss those.
Its rare that I'll have a big episodic dream, or remember it. Lately, I have sensation dreams. I like those. And strangely, sometimes nightmares. Kinda rare for me.
Two days ago I was over at Vannessa's house during my lunch break, talking about dreams. I was saying how her cornbread sketches were both dreamy and dreamlike.

(borrowed from her myspace page)
I was telling her about my nightmares for those past two nights. The first night, a man was staring at me through the peephole of our door (we don't have a peephole). My eye met his giant eye and stared and stared. Next thing I know, I'm shouting "AAAAAAROOOOON!" in real life but it was more like "AAAAAAAAAARRRR."
The next night, we had the u-haul parked outside the coop (when I told Sara about this dream Thursday night when I met her at the Tin Shed, she chimed in "well, there's your nightmare already!") and I left to go inside and I was inside for twenty minutes or so. I realized I left the door open and I come out and all kinds of people are looting the truck like it's a big party. I try to speak, but I have as much trouble as the night before, shouting something like "Get away from there!" though Aaron totally couldn't understand what I said this time. Both nights, AA woke me up to end the nightmare and comfort me, and I would fall back asleep and not remember any more dreams.
It's interesting how into nightmares Vanessa is (she said something about people who have nightmares know that they are really living...or something like that) cause she makes dream pillows to combat them. I've seen her make them, and there's quite a lot of magic in there.
After I talked to Vanessa and Sara about dreams on Thursday, I had a really intense dream. It was a great dream, not a nightmare at all, but it involved the kinds of sensations and sights that I don't even know how to talk about it here.
On Friday, I remembered about the Northwest Film Festival and I wanted to see the first set of shorts, bad. Got out of work early (probably the last time I'll get to do that in a while), hung out with AA for as long as we could and then heated up the last of the yummiest soup, Wheat Berry Bean, though I used kamut which was fan-tastic. Got to the the Northwest Film Center and found out that the opening film was playing at Cinema 21. Damn! Looking around for the #15 in that direction, we probably weren't going to make it in time.
Then I spot the Regal, you know, that mega-cinema that I haven't seen the likes of since we've moved here, but I spy that they are playing Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep, a movie I was dying to see at Cinema 21 during its one week run, though it was the same week as Michelle's visit so we didn't get to go. So we bought our tickets (6 dollars more than at the independent theater -- boo you, regal!) and went for a coffee and snack at the coffeeshop while we waited for it to open. Caught a manic crocheting couple doing their thing on the couch in back!
Michel Gondry's done tons of great things, namely, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (one of my favorite movies ever), Human Nature, and many of Bjork's older music videos, and I loved this film so much. One of my favorite moments happens at the very beginning of the film: Stephan is hosting a talk-show, which is the template for many of his dreams, and he describes the ingredients of a dream and starts to pour them in the blender: events of the day, memories of the past, subconscious thoughts, etc.
Actually, there were tons of parts I really liked. The nightmare with the big hands, the book "I am your neighbor, a liar," the cellophane-filled boat, the "disasterology" calendar, the one-second time machine, this is just a small sampling of the great images and sensations and ideas of this film. But I don't want to say too much, cause I want you to see it.

This came out a while ago so it's more than likely not playing at your theater anymore. But if it's still in theaters and you haven't seen it, go. Go right now. It's definitely a movie to see on the big screen, and I was very lucky to catch it.
I don't remember anything from my dreams last night. When I woke up, Aaron's eyes were darting back and forth and it made me smile so big. That, and that's he's really cute.






3 Comments:
Whoa, those are some weird dreams. My dreams usually reveal how much of a dork I am, very nonsensical and sometimes annoying things about work (I hate those). And Ganter's dreams are really cute and funny, like the other night he dreamt he bought some magical shin guards (he used to be a soccer goalie). Dreams are really fascinating. Anyway, job? We'll catch up . . .
I went and saw "Borat..." last night and was both entertained and grossed out!
The actor that plays "Borat"- Sacha Baron Cohen does not hold any punches as he confronts a slew of politically-incorrect social situations, namely anti-Semitism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and possibly more.
There are plenty of crass scenes combined with some nudity which I didn't find as funny as the rest of the audience.
The film touches on some very sensitive issues which might offend some people therefore it's not a film for everybody, but I enjoyed it regardless.
where are you working?
i was disappointed in "the science of sleep" - probably in part because i was so super excited to see it. i liked all those parts you mentioned, but it didn't hold together for me overall. after thinking about why i didn't love it, i decided that it was that i didn't get the characters, i didn't understand what the deal was between them, why they were acting that way. the thing i loved so much about the crazy quirky characters in movies like "eternal sunshine" and "me and you and everyone we know" was that even though they were weird and quirky, i could totally relate to them. i felt that was about stephan at the beginning, but as his relationship with stephanie progressed i just wasn't interested in the two of them as a couple.
this movie seemed to be like one i'd make - i'd have a great idea for the main character and all these great ideas for the look of the film and the imagery, and then i wouldn't be able to come up with a decent plot to express all those ideas in, so it would turn out to be a pretty but unsatisfying movie with interesting characters that aren't well-utilized.
i keep thinking that i might start to like it better in retrospect though, as i did with lost in translation.
Post a Comment
<< Home