michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Lots of new yarns!

I still didn't have anything on needles at the beginning of the day, and I didn't bring anything with me to work since I was still awaiting the big yarn shipments, and as soon as I got to work, Theresa gave me package #1 from knitpicks (shine in apricot and violet and shine twist in harvest and ladder yarn in coral reef). I openend it up and was excited to feel how soft the shine was (pima cotton/modal) and only a little over $2 a skein! Conversation in class turned to the green poncho (again!) and several students again asked if I could make them a scarf. I then had to repeat the ridiculous thing I said to people before about how if you teach someone to knit they have scarves for a lifetime, etc. So I'm commiting myself to teaching a lot of students to knit though who knows when. Girls and boys, too, as Victor said he wants to learn how to make socks or "ear warmers" for himself. At lunch, Eve gave me package #2 from flying fingers. I didn't open it at school, but then I couldn't resist opening it on the subway -- beautiful fiesta colored bamboo yarn, chocolate soy silk, and natural lace weight soy silk -- everything was so soft. Students were around (including freshmen that I don't have) and they were all passing the yarn around and feeling how soft it was. Janet wanted me to teach her how, but since I didn't have needles, I couldn't!

When I got home, I looked up patterns for a poncho made out of the bamboo, and I found out that southwest has free patterns that come with the purchase of the yarn, so I called flying fingers, and she is going to send it to me. So, I was thinking I'd try to wait for it, but then I couldn't, so I was thinking I might try to make a rectangle poncho following the measurements in the back of ponchos and wraps: a knitter's dozen. So I cast on (first 38 and then 56) to do a feather and fan pattern that I found in the stitch book. In the middle, we went to Strictly Roots, and when I came back, I started on 56 co to make the poncho, but as I started knitting it started to feel more like a wrap or stole. We'll see.



having trouble

getting a good

shot of this

I did 4 repeats and messed up with the last pattern row, so I pulled it out (an hour or so of work), and started again. I'm now at 2 repeats, and I'm going to try to commit to my new self-imposed rule to try to knit mostly when I am:
1. watching tv or a movie
2. in public, waiting for or on the subway or bus
3. times when I'm in limbo with nothing particular to do or nothing I can do where I am (for example, in the teacher's lounge, where I rarely accomplish anything productive, knitting is good)

We'll see how this works.

I love love love the bamboo yarn so far - colors, texture, drape, all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home