michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Legwarmers finished, 1st Secret Pal package received!

I just came back from the post office to pick up my secret pal package!

These are the goods...3 balls of Southwest Trading Company Bamboo (!) in parrot, a Learn to Crochet book, a bamboo crochet hook, a jasmine scented candle, and lastly, 24 cocktail parosols! I already have 2 balls of the bamboo in parrot (an ebay auction from the late spring), so I'm thinking I can make something really big and fancy with all of this parrot yarn. What??? How much would I need to make a sweater? And what sweater would that be? Or maybe these 3 balls will be the clapotis yarn (and not the 3 balls of azure I have?) And I've been telling myself I'm going to sit myself down and teach myself to crochet, and now I've got a book so I have no more excuses! And tomorrow, if we end up meeting at Nohemi's for cocktails (instead of at a bar), I'm totally bringing these parasols! And and this is all so exciting -- Thanks sp!



Today was even more chilly than yesterday, at least in the morning, so I rushed to finish the legwarmers so I could wear them to school. They were soft and lovely to wear, and they kept me really warm. I didn't sew them in because 1) I can't find the tapestry needles that I just bought, nor can I find the chibi with my original needles 2) I wouldn't have had time to finish and sew in time for school anyway. So there.

Oh, and check out my nifty sidebar WIPs. This is thanks to Anna who not only gave me the program, she then put it in my template, and filled in my works in progress for me (without me telling her what they are). What an attentive blog reader -- ha! Thanks, Anna.

p.s. Fellow vegans (and anyone who likes a good pair of comfortable shoes), I direct your attention to the shoes in the above picture. They are earth breeze 2 (the 2 is for the vegan version) and they are spectacular. I'm really into how they have that great big seam in the middle (it actually reminds me a ton of Dede's Dolman sweater! Speaking of Dede, I missed her yesterday cause I went to my first sewing class. About sewing ... I'm making a wrap skirt out of limey green corduroy that I bought at P & S Fabrics in Chinatown, and so far the class is fun (especially when we were done cutting our fabric and got to practice on the sewing machine!), though it's cutting into my hanging out and knitting and listenting to music time. There was this funny moment where I thought that I was sewing along the tailor's chalk squiggles that Cal, the teacher, drew for me to follow, but then when I picked the fabric up off of the machine, there were no stitches there! The needle had come unthreaded, that's why. This is quite a p.s. -- I think I'll stop now.

7 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Those are some sweet legwarmers. What size needles did you use?

Friday, September 30, 2005 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

size 8 blue plastic clover circular needle (12 in.) + rowan calmer (a little more than 2 balls, though 2 balls would have been fine) + CO 56 stitches + k2p2 rib = love

Friday, September 30, 2005 7:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the legwarmers! I'm definitely making some for myself out of the Calmer you sent me! And I'm glad I turned you on to Calmer - great, isn't it?

I've been wanting to figure out how to do WIP and FO sidebars on my blog. Do you think it'd be okay if I contacted Anna about helping me? I use blogger too, so I'm sure it'd be very similar.

Friday, September 30, 2005 9:17:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

great legwarmers! i wish i could find a 12in circular needle, the shortest i can find is 16in, which is why the legwarmers i made don't stay up, i figured out!

i have those same shoes and i wear them every day in the fall and winter. they are super comfortable and really versatile - you can wear them with jeans, with businessy work clothes, a skirt, anything! they are the best.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done on the legwarmers, they look great! If I ever have some spare Calmer I may give them a go!

How about the Hourglass Sweater for the bamboo? It's nicely shaped and the bamboo will have a great drape. With 5 balls you've got 1250 which is more than enough, in fact I think the hourglass only takes about 800 (book is upstairs!).

I admit to checking the correct names of your WIP's, I did know 2 of them though! lol Glad it worked!

We don't get vegan shoes that I can afford over here so I buy cheapo plasticy shoes, mind you as I'm at home most of the time I don't wear shoes a whole lot! lol

Should have emailed you, this is the long comment from hell!

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:39:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey all!
I first saw a picture of the needles here, but it looks like they only have the us 8 in an 8 inch (I bought the needle I used in Maine at a store in Southwest Harbor). I checked around, though, and they have them here and here and here. I liked getting to use a circular instead of dpns.

Stephanie, I'm sure it would be ok to contact Anna, though perhaps I can figure out what's going on with it myself and email it to you.

And Jen, yeah for the earth shoes!

And Anna, that sounds like a great idea! I was thinking of a scoop neck sweater, so that is perfect! Oh, and Aaron mostly wears payless shoes, though he recently splurged for the earth shoes. They're that good. I hope they last forever! Oh, and my specialty is the long comment, so no worries at all...

Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:06:00 AM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

BTW- Tag you're it! I am tagging you with the foodie tail of the Basic Juice meme.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home