Big projects, even smaller needles
I started the wavy sweater while watching Ebert and Roeper. Cast on 117, 2 rows of ribbing with the size 2s and it is just as I feared . . . I'm loose!!!
I'm thinking I'm going to go back to Purl and ask them about it, but I think perhaps rather than using 2s and 3s, I might go back and buy 0s and 1s. Is that crazy or what? What was I thinking, picking a project which such thin yarn and such small needles and it's still totally loose? Could I ever be a tight knitter, and would I want to be? Aaron tried to comfort me and say that by the time I'm done, I'll have a sweater that's a family heirloom -- ha! I'd like it to fit me first, though!






5 Comments:
I meant to tell you about a program that I am using to change the gauge on a couple of projects at the moment but I can't get the page to open at the moment. Basically you tell it what the gauge pattern says and then you tell it what you're knitting at and it tells you how many stitches and/or rows you need to do, very clever!
Is the pattern gauge written over rib or stokinette? Always worth doing at least a 4 inch by 2 inch swatch (I knit the number of stitches wide plus 2 then half the number of rows for length plus 1 and then measure to check the gauge), especially when you're swapping cotton for wool.
Hope you get it sorted out! I'm knitting from the Purl book at the moment, so it's funny you went there, I must be chanelling you as I cast on last night! lol
I know I should do a larger swatch before I make my final decisions, it's just that the stitches look so loose already...but you're right. I'm going to check out handknitting.com re: the needles.
It was funny going to Purl because I have that book, too, and the woman who worked the register is the woman wearing the kerchief and I think a few other projects in the book. I didn't talk to her about it, though, since I imagine that is a common response to seeing her...
Definitely tell me more re: the gauge program.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the gauge is described this way: "tension 1 patt rep=2 1/4 in wide using us 3 needles" so it's hard to match gauge before having completed the pattern yet or even gotten to the 3s. It's just, I don't know, I know that it looks too loose for the edging, and it measure way more than half of what I'd want to fit around my body (I forget the measurement, now). So, I'm not exactly scientific about it, but it just feels wrong.
Well, what I'd do is cast on enough stitches for the pattern repeat on US3's plus a stitch at each end which you just knit each row and then knit a full pattern repeat plus 1 row and measure that from under the needle to just above the cast on row. Don't bother taking it off the needles or casting off (sacrilidge I know, but I'm cheap!) so you can just unravel it and put it back to be knit again in the finished piece! That will let you know if US3's are the way to go or if you need to go up or down. Then if you do go down you just go down equally for the rib.
HTH!
i just love the blog world - i'm getting to 'meet' so many people! i found your site through another person's comment on my site - and alas i discovered Vegan Knitters! how exciting. I can't wait to figure out how the adorable icon works so i can be an avid reader with other vegans and vegan knitters!
Post a Comment
<< Home