michelleknits

My name is Michelle, and I knit. This is me, knitting. Well, it's not me, it's my blog. Yes, this is my blog. And I knit. I'm learning more every day. Well, not every day but most days. Oh, and I'm vegan. I like it that way.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Secret Pal?

Maybe I will get a secret pal? That sounds really exciting. Now I know what this questionaire is used for. I'm going to repost it, now taking the questions seriously as if someone is reading them this time:

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I think I might be, though it's not intentional, or at least I'd try to say that. Before I heard of the concept of "yarn snob," I had been thinking about these 2 skeins of Lion Brand Jiffy I have, and how much I don't like them (they're from when I first learned to knit, but it didn't stick, about 2 years ago). When I started knitting about 3 months ago (April 1), my first instinct was to head to a yarn store and not the large craft store, so I guess I'm in that direction. I don't like wool/alpaca, etc cause I'm vegan, and I know there's a type of snob that only works with those, and I'm not that kind if I am one. I am really drawn to soft plant fibers, such as bamboo, cotton/modal, hemp (which is not always so soft), I have some red banana "silk" etc. Ok, yeah, I probably am a yarn snob.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do neither but I'd like to learn how to crochet, especially for edgings and ornamentation, etc.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Pets! (specifically cats and dogs). I sneeze when I'm around strong perfume, and I don't like smoke at all though I'm not sure if I'm "allergic" to it. The idea of having yarn with any of these qualities attached to it makes me very unhappy.

4. How long have you been knitting?
I tried to learn 2 years ago but it didn't stick. Almost 3 months ago I learned again and now I'm at it almost every day. I've knit several scarves, a poncho, a shrug, a tie, a capelet thing, 2 shawls, a kerchief, branching out from knitty, etc.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, but I haven't updated it in forever. Some things I've added recently and some things have been there a while and need to be cleared out.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
lavendar, lemon/lemongrass, ylang ylang, tea tree, tangerine. Nothing too perfumy or fake smelling. Stuff that's vegan and not tested on animals.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, but for vegan chocolates mostly and some vegan candies (no gelatin). I love the wizzer eggs and wizzer beans, and I love peanut butter and chocolate. I like dark chocolate and raspberries. I like pure maple sugar candy.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
beaded jewelry, making beads out of polymer clay, bookmaking, I'd like to know how to sew better and make my own clothes

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like krautrock, electronic music, some 80's new wave, some newer "indie" bands, etc. My cd player and my computer can play mp3s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite colors are orange, lime green, lemon yellow, variations of purple like violet and periwinkle, pinks, brown, deep red, maroon, etc. I like most colors but there are variations of colors that I think are boring like certain light blues or shades of green. I like cornflower blue, though, but I dislike forest green.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my boyfriend. We don't have pets.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To work on my own schedule doing something I love (clearly I don't know what that would be yet. Something crafty or creative, I think). I do like teaching (my current job), but I can't really call that my life's dream because I always have this nagging feeling that I don't have the freedom that I want in a job.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Bamboo right now (both southwest trading company and classic elite bamboo are nice). I haven't tried Alchemy or the other brands of bamboo, yet. I also love soy silk, hemp, things like modal and tencel, soft cottons, variegated colors. I'd like to try euroflax linen and other types of fibers that are non-animal (no mohair, wool, angora, merino, etc.). I'm into texture and I'm into softness.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
any animal or non-plant fiber (this includes silk), some acrylics are boring or not soft

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
learning new techniques so that I can make more lace patterns. figuring out how to make things that fit and that are not rectangles.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
shawls/stoles/scarves

17. What are you knitting right now?
a stole for my work friend, Olga

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I like them. Some storebought ones that I see around are boring, but the hand knit ones I've seen are lovely. To be honest, it depends who is wearing it and how. Some people really know how to work the poncho, and that's what makes it nice.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Not sure yet, but I might be leaning toward circular. I haven't really tried enough to know. Actually, it depends on what I'm doing. The long straights are bad for the subway.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
bamboo mostly, though I have some plastic for larger sizes. I have one inox that I bought cause I thought I wouldn't use that size often (size 5 -- I was wrong) and it's "ok," though I just bought a 10.5 addi turbo, and wow, that was nice. so, bamboo and addi turbos are what I lean to right now.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
no, I have never made socks, but that would be nice someday. Many sock yarns aren't vegan, though I do have 1 ball of Cascade Fixation (I learned later that it would probably take 2 balls to make 2 socks! Grrr.)

22. How did you learn to knit?
My sister and then someone from work taught me how.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I don't have any other than the one I am working on. This isn't because I'm anal or a real go-getter, but more because I get really into what I'm doing and I want to stick with it. I only drop something if I'm bored, and I haven't gotten bored, yet.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I can't think of an animated character, though I like the frog, the turtle, the ladybug, and the seahorse.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
halloween, though I don't always dress up

26. Is there anything that you collect?
oh yeah -- beads, yarn, paper, books, fabric, old/vintage clothes...

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
none, though I would like to subscribe to interweave (I have their summer issue) and _maybe_ Vogue knitting (I also have theirs)

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Loop - d - loop by Teva Durham, but I'm not sure if I've gotten good enough to start any of the projects. Actually, I'm sure that I could tackle some of the easier things in there. I like the Folk Shawls book that I have seen. A lot. Also, Vintage Knits sounds fun. Some items in Last Minute Knitting Gifts looked interesting. Something like Socks Soar on Circular Needles? Umm, I forget the others. Oh, some vegan cookbooks that look neat are Vice Cream and Simple Treats.

Oh, I'm really excited to have a secret pal. I love secrets and I love pals!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

You have one now! :) Since I just got your info, I'll have to rush to keep up! I'll start shopping and let you know when to expect something!

:) Your SP!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oooh, I know my secret pal's name is Stacey!!!!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home