Flower Bud Legwarmers
Ever since I finished my last sleeve of the Vintage Knits cardigan, I have been avoiding the inevitable -- finishing the sweater. Of course we know what I mean. Not that I don't want it done since I'd love to get to wear it. But it's the process of "finishing" that I'm worried about messing up. I ended up ordering that book of finishing techniques that I talked about not buying a few weeks ago, and I'm hoping to get it within the next few days. Then I'm going to try to see about making the button hole and button band, and learning how to sew up the edges all nice and pretty.
In the meantime, I
1) got a sewing machine (!)
2) I've been mostly hemming my and Aaron's pants
3) It's still fun, though.
4) I received rowan calmer in the mail. I ordered it a while ago. 2 balls of "calm" and 2 balls of "tinkerbell". The color I'm working with now, tinkerbell, is a cornflower/blue/periwinkle color that I'm pretty into right now. I started legwarmers using a "flower bud" stitch that I'd been admiring in The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches. I love legwarmers and I love rowan calmer so these are lovely to knit.
I've been knitting a bit during baseball games (though I'm not going to miss those for any other reason except for my passing fandom for the Angels which I can't adequately explain here) and also on the subway. I even worked on some during parent teacher night (in between conferences with parents). I worked on it tonight while watching Batman Begins, too. I wasn't in love with that movie, but I did make good progress, and I'm now ready to show you the first legwarmer.
I present to you the first of the Flower Bud Legwarmers:

Here's a close up of the stitch:






9 Comments:
Wow, Michelle. I love that pattern it is absolutely beautiful. How difficult was it? I must get that book you use for patterns! Glad to hear you got a sewing machine. Have you finished your skirt?
Have any of the buttons worked out? Let me know if you want to try any of the others.
Not Quite Harlem Stitch 'n' Bitch has 2 new members! Tina and Anastasia from Columbia came a joined us this Thursday. Anastasia is a vegan knitter! She hasn't tried many of the yarns you use and she sounded really interested in meeting you.
I hope all is well! Have a great weekend!
Those are the cutest legwarmers I've ever seen!
Thanks you two! Megan, that's a great shawl you have there yourself! Dede, that's really exciting news -- another vegan knitter, in person! I'm so excited about it all -- every sentence gets an exclamation point (ha). No, seriously, we should all meet up. I haven't tried the buttons yet cause I haven't gotten to that part. I'll let you know, though. Oh, and the pattern isn't difficult. Not too hard to memorize, either.
those are incredible. i'm going to get that book for sure.
PS is that book the same one that's put out by reader's digest? just want to make sure i get the right one... thanks!
yep, that's the one! i think it's a great book.
those legwarmers are great, love the pattern on them!
The thing about finishing is that as long as you don't sew in and cut off all your ends until the very end you can take out the seaming and try again until it does work how you want it to. It's all practice, just like anything else really. Once it clicks you'll not be worried about it anymore, except that it's pretty dull!
Hi!
These leg warmers are super cute! I just ordered this book from amazon, thanks to your inspiration.
Jewell :)
Wait, I _know_ you, Jewell. Like, in real life! Hey!
Post a Comment
<< Home