"Faw Faw Faw, space..."
I had a typing teacher with a really strong NY accent (I grew up with lots of people with a really strong NY accent, including my parents, but this one was killer). So with the number 4, well I always remember her no matter how hard I try not to.
Anyway, Robyn tagged me for the "four" meme, so here it is.
Four Jobs You've Had In Your Life
1. I worked for my father in his office for most of high school. It was embarrassing when he would share anecdotes about me with everyone, though we had some fun listening to oldies music and making jokes while it lasted. Then I decided to quit and make much less by serving coffee and ice cream at a local café, Temptations. This was before I was vegan, and I would come home with ice cream ALL OVER my clothes. One of my favorite stories to tell at school, mostly because it says a lot about my bio/math teacher friend, David, is the story of how when I re-encountered him as a teacher at work (we grew up in the same area), he said “weren’t you friends with Michelle who worked at Temptations” and I said “I am Michelle who worked at Temptations!”
2. I worked at the North Buffalo Food Co-op. It was nice at first – great people to work with and meet, walking distance to my house, good food, etc. but then we got new managers and things made a turn for the worse. They were a couple, and I remember when she mooned him right in front of me. Eventually, they gave my position to someone else who was supposed to help manage and save the co-op, but didn’t, and then the co-op went under entirely and now there is only one co-op in all of
3. I worked at two libraries at my university – Lockwood, the graduate library (I worked at the circulation desk) and The Poetry/Rare Books Room (I did data entry and book retrieval). A lot of my time was also spent looking at all the treasures in the closed stacks of both libraries. I felt very lucky to see these things since hardly anyone does or even knows what is there. Maybe I should work in a library again?
4. I was an English teacher for 4 ½ years at a high school in the northeast 
Four Movies You Could Watch Over and Over
1. Do the Right Thing (Dir. Spike Lee)
2. Tokyo Story (Dir. Yasujiro Ozu)
3. Burden of Dreams (Dir. Les Blank)
4. I'd love to see Sunset Boulevard again (Dir. Billy Wilder)
Actually, there are tons of movies I really like. I’m having trouble choosing just four. If I like a movie, I always like to watch it again. Teaching film was fun because I got to see my favorite movies over and over again (once before class, again during class). I also love to watch the old silent and film noir movies.
Four TV Shows You Love to Watch
1.
2. Freaks and Geeks!!! (yes, I know these shows aren’t on anymore, but I can watch these shows over and over on DVD)
3. 24
4. What is happening to Ebert and Roeper? They are on at the weirdest times now. I miss them.
Four favorite Books
1. The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I read it in the 10th grade and then reread it again in college. It’s always the book I say when asked, without hesitation. I happen to live really close to “speaker’s corner,” and Malcolm X is someone I think a lot about.
2. I really love the dictionary (my favorite is the American Heritage Dictionary but I love all reference books). Before I left school, I got the kids to pose for a picture I always imagined taking.
3. This is hard – in addition to reference books, I really like crafting/knitting books (Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches, Kokoro No Te, Vintage Knits), vegan recipe books (Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, World in Your Kitchen, Vegan with a Vengeance, World of the East, etc.), books on herbal/natural healing (The Juicing Bible, Natural Prescriptions for Women, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, lots of poetry (Collected Poems of Jack Spicer, Dream Rim Instructions by Tina Darragh, Selected Poems of Alice Notley, For Love by Robert Creeley etc.), books on film (Hitchcock/Truffaut, etc.)
4. I’m really into our friend Michael Kelleher’s book of poetry, To Be Sung (we just saw him and talked about it last night so it’s fresh in my mind). Plus, maybe if you like poetry, you’ll look it up, and that would be nice.
Four Albums You Can't Hear Too Often
1. Morrissey – Southpaw Grammar (or The Smiths – The Queen is Dead)
2.
3. Ween – Chocolate and Cheese
4. Amon Duul II or Kraftwerk or other kraut rock or the Silver Apples or…
I could actually listen to Nirvana’s Nevermind over and over (though I don’t readily admit that I’m that nostalgic). Ok, that’s not four, either.
Four Places You Have Lived
1. West
2.
3. 
I miss how everything we liked was walking distance to our house,
like Muddy Waters
4. 
The day we moved in.
Four Places You Have Been On Vacation
1. the upper 
Tahquamenon Falls

while hiking in the Porcupine Mountains
2. 
3. 
Acadia National Park is all about rocks,

at Kejimkujick National Park (2003)
4. the 
Portland (from the Japanese Garden)
Four Websites You Visit Daily
1. yahoo
2. news sites (I’m not too loyal to specific ones)
3. I like to go to Merriam-Webster's and listen to words that I like or that sound funny (like “verisimilitudinous” )
4. friends’ blogs
Four Of Your Favorite Foods
1. Ethiopian!
2. South Indian!!
3. Dim Sum!!!
4. Vegan Buffalo Wings!!!!
or (another way to answer this question)
1. raspberries
2. avocado
3. blood orange or grapefruit
4. mango
Four Places You Would Rather be Right Now
See “vacations.” Any of those places would be great right about now, though I’m partial to
Four People You'll Tag
1. Jen
2. Anna
3. Emily
4. Carrie









6 Comments:
great post and thanks for the tag! i should get around to this one soon. incidentally, i had a typing teacher who would say "pand, pand, pand" when she meant "pound." i didn't even know that it was called the pound sign back then.
I just tried to only fold in my pinky and I canNOT do it. I have to at least perch it behind the heel of my thumb, which has a very silly looking claw/velocoraptor effect. Needless to say, I am impressed.
you and aaron are an adorable couple!
i can fold just my pinky down on my left hand, but can't on my right hand (i'm lefthanded). incidentally, it might not be rare in other places - i know that there are some cultures where "2" is forefinger and thumb, not forefinger and middle finger.
also, following up on what carrie said, i remember when i started college, the school had a voicemail system called "aspen" for all the dorms -- it was the first time i had ever used voice mail (as opposed to an answering machine). it was pretty confusing. aspen had a woman's voice and she would often say "pound" -- i had no idea what she was talking about but since i was so frustrated, i'd pound the phone when she said "pound." i think it was a couple of weeks before i learned what she meant by "pound." none of my dormmates had known that "#" was called "pound" until we started using aspen either. i can't remember how we eventually figured it out.
i got tagged for this too, i love how we're getting to know each other through our blogs and these quizes! thanks for adding pictures to your answers, it made it more personal! it does take up a lot of space, doesn't it?!
Wow...where do you get vegan Buffalo wings??? I never had them non-vegan but I bet they're sticky and warm and tasty.
YAY...i finally found your blog through your comment on vania's! everytime i clicked on your name in my comments, it just took me to your group blogs. (hope you're ok that i found you! promise i'm not a stalker. hee hee). anyhow, i LOVED your answers to the meme. you & your boy have travelled to some beautiful places, wow! and the picture of your kids all reading the dictionary is priceless... so funny!
Post a Comment
<< Home